Need Help with a Skimmer

Grasspicker

Hey guys, I have a 29 bio cube. I put a $ 39.00 Rio Nano skimmer on it a few weeks ago. Last night it crapped out. The pump seems to not be working correctly. The little propeller wheel turns but I cant seem to get it to pull water anymore up into chamber 1.

Ive heard bad things about the CPR skimmer for the bio cube which is why I went with this nano but now after having problems I need some help. I hope some of you will be able to direct me in the right direction.

BEELZEBOB

if you want a new skimmer, by a D&D typhoone from aqtkjak.

if you wanna fix it, get a powerhead that is the same or can fit the same hole and notch?

BigJay

its a magnetic drive pump right? Have you taken it apart and cleaned it? If it gets a film built up on it , it will gradually slow down tell it won't be enough force to move the water.

BEELZEBOB

its a magnetic drive pump right? Have you taken it apart and cleaned it? If it gets a film built up on it , it will gradually slow down tell it won't be enough force to move the water.

very good call!

dissasemble, clean and reassemble!

might work out.

Grasspicker

Do you think that it would be that nasty in only a week and a half? It is indeed magnetic. I pretty much took the magnet part out and ran warm water over it. It doesnt seem to be working though. Once I put it back together it never seems to get going again. Im just wondering if I should chalk it up to buying the wrong thing and go ahead and buy a better skimmer. (If there is such a thing). Keep in mind I have a bio cube so what ever I get needs to fit in there. Here is a pic of what this one currently looks like.
Rio_Nano_Skimmer.jpg

I would like to find something that will fit in this back chamber.

Another question I have is this. Is it possible to just hang it on the back of the tank and let the inlet part go into the second chamber insteed of the tank or is it best to keep the inlet in the main part of the tank. As it is pictured it is in the main part of the tank. Its not much of a problem having it this way but it is a tight fit.

chrome91

Hey guys, I have a 29 bio cube. I put a $ 39.00 Rio Nano skimmer on it a few weeks ago. Last night it crapped out. The pump seems to not be working correctly. The little propeller wheel turns but I cant seem to get it to pull water anymore up into chamber 1.

glad to see im not the only one with troubles with those. i bought my first one new, and it crapped out within a day. i figured i screwed up somehow. i bought another one new and again it crapped out, i figured WTF. third time i found someone tearing down a 20g reef and they had alot of stuff for sale, they said they would give my a 65w coralife PC, same rio skimmer, master test kit, and all this other stuff for $100. i saw the skimmer in action and it was working good. i plugged it on one of my tanks, found it running dry and burnt out in the morning