Need Help Identifying This Worm and Solution For It.

koolcat

Got this biocube running for about two weeks now. 40lbs of ls and 30lbs of dry rocks with two small pieces of lr.

Temperature at 78.6 Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 5ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm.

But now I see alot of these white worm-like things crawling around the glass especially near the top at the rim of the tank. Can you guys help me identify what
the heck are they? They look like hair-like size bristle worms but white/clear.

These are very small about 1-2 mm long, also are these Planaria?

14ctpw1.jpg

jqnd5w.jpg

2hzhcog.jpg

k356oh.jpg

Thanks,
Ryan

koolcat

Are bristile worms white almost clear when it is young? Also i have a lot and they are pretty small. I didnt think they are that small even when young. They are like 1−2mm long

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bristle worms are very small when born and the ones I've seen are very light colored. As they get a little older they get more color and darker.

koolcat

so what should I do? Should i just leave it? Right now theres basically nothing in there it is still cycling.

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bristle Worms will multiply and decline in direct accordance to amount of available food. People over feed they will get more and more. Once the food cuts back (or vanishes) they come out of hiding because they are hungry. Their numbers will decrease/increase depending on your tank conditions. I don't even give them a 2nd thought any more. They are a very beneficial part of your Clean Up Crew IMHO

koolcat

So I should let it be huh? I mean it won't hurt my fish or coral or anything right? I see like 30 of those little bitty things at one time.

koolcat

Im just scared that those are some parasites or something because when I jump start my cycle by adding a raw shrimp. Once the shrimp was in there for about 3 days, a clear/white cacoon start forming around the shrimp and I thought it was from there that these little things come from.

koolcat

So should I just leave them there? I mean every time I come home from work they are around the rim of the tank like 20-30 of them. Should I get a CUC so they can start gnarling on them? Tank has a lot of Diatom now so Im thinking it might be cycled soon?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
There are some fish that will eat those bristle worms. (SixLine Wrasse are said to)
I've been leaving them in my tank except for one that was about 6 or 7 inches long & he was too brave coming out during the day & so I got rid of him. :)

koolcat

So my tank look like it is cycled because Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0. Diana, I'm gonna get the six line wrasse u mentioned. Then maybe a clown fish in a month or two. It's a 29g biocube so two fish should be good right?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good to read that things are moving along well for you koolcat :) those two fish sound like a colorful combo for your tank....not sure which one I'd add 1st. I added clowns 1st because I've heard Sixlines can be a bit bossy but my clowns are also ;)
Here is a link that I have bookmarked that shows the worms you have as well as lots of other hitchhikers you might have in your live rock. Check it out:
LionfishLair.com - Hitchhiker Guide to your Aquarium
Have you posted pictures of your tank yet?

koolcat

I just change like 80% of the water then add two new pieces of live rocks from like Alaskan or African reef or something. I also add in the aqualife 115 skimmer, powerhead, 10 astrea snails, and 4 hermit crabs. Here's the picture before and after:

Before:
o74j90.jpg

After:
b8ae05.jpg

s189j6.jpg

33etx8k.jpg

Blue Space

Sounds like a great start! Let's get a nice photo of the first fish and don't forget to say, "Smile"! :D

koolcat

I will try to get a nice photo once I can get a fish in there. Also, what are the time you guys have the light running for your tank? I have my actinic lights come on around 12pm for 8hrs, daylights come on around an hr after the actinic lights from 1pm for 5hrs, and then moonlights come on around 7pm until 3am. Let me know if the timing for these lights suffice or should I extend the time?

Thanks,
Ryan

mtsully71

Ryan

not familiar with your type of tank, but your lighting period looks ok, generally most people run 8-10 hours, depending on the type of lights they run. I run 9 hours for t5's on my Red Sea Max.

until your tank is fully cycled, I would keep your skimmer running full open, even if you wet skim some. You can reduce your light period down by 50-75%. This will help you with the diatom algae bloom you'll get from cycliing. Clean your glass, change a little water and before you know it you will begin to see the diatoms disapear..:) Test you water, and when your within parameters, get a fish (no damsels) there are other cheap fish you can get that are not near as aggressive for a nano.....

My last bit of advice.....take your time, do your water changes religously and enjoy it..and you should have minimal problems

GL
Sully

koolcat

Thanks Sully and everyone else for the replies and advices, I will try to change maybe 5-10% of water at least every weekend or two. I have a T5's as well too two actinic 18" bulb and two daylight 18". I don't neve know how to work this skimmer lol. It keeps filling to the top of the reservoir, I thought it suppose to fill maybe half way or less with all these bubble. I don't maybe it's not working right?

21cloves

bristle worms...good for your tank. That shrimp was just molding, and they were eating it...they scavenge for food and detritus.

21cloves

Ur skimmer problem....do u use RO water or city water? also 20% water change every 14 days should be routine...