Need Help DIY Stand

odstar

I want to build my own stand for a 55 gallon aquarium. Does anyone have any pictures or links that would help me out with this endevour? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

KimPossible

Cool, you'll be able to create your own room under the tank. A center brace is difficult to manuver around. What are you planning to do in the stand? Do you want a sump or fuge? a skimmer? other equipment... good for you, plan it out and then build to your needs.

DaveK

While a stand is not difficult to build, before you do so, price out the materials you'll need. You may find it less expensive to just buy a ready made one.

odstar

Thanks for the reply guys!!

I do plan on adding a sump/refuge/FS Resevoir w/ATO. I just want enough clearence to do maintence on the sump. Most stands I came across were to short and had that center brace in the front. I rather have the braces in the back and have a huge door in the front. I don't know if that would compromise the structure if I didn't that brace in the front.

I already have 2x4's already and 3/4 plywood.

I just want to see some examples or drawings so I can get an idea of how to construct one.

KimPossible

Well, you can look and look... measure it out. You want a max/min length...I know that I wished I would have accounted for more equipment under my stand...Good Luck !

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I would suggest a solid bottom with a good 3 to 4 '' raised waterproof lip, this has saved my floors a couple of times, run a bead of paintable sealer around the base and paint it, also try and make the end panels removable.Steve

murkywaters

In regards to the front center brace ,I think you could build it sufficiently using a double header and jack studs. If you were still concerned you could supplement the header with a metal angle.

kinghokus420

heres the one i'm building for a 135. 2x4's and 1/4" oak ply

DSCN0997.jpg

DSCN7620.jpg

it still looks like this. Im at almost 200$ to this point.

Triggerjay

I have built several for 55g's... I do not have any pics of them, but I will do a google sketchup...Their easy.. but the ones I have built did not have room for anything larger than a 10g or a 20L for a sump...

Jason