Naso Tang Hiding for a week now!

Reefin

I recently purchased a naso tang a week ago and he has done nothing but hide since he has been added to the tank I've heard of tangs being shy at first but wondering is this normal doesn't even seem like he's been eating other than what he picks from the rocks ??

Varga

Naso tangs are becoming difficult in captivity AND dying out in the wild too. Generally its a shy fish at first but it should be eating.

I hope he comes around for you. Its the coolest fish to own. Mine got to know us and would hide from strangers.

TylerHaworth

That's longer than I've ever had any fish hide... Do you have any other fish that may be causing it to feel stressed?

Reefin

i just have a maroon clown hes been in the tank for about 3 weeks and he hasnt really come out of his anemone unless there a piece of food passing by the he will come out to snatch it real quick just pick up some brown algae sea weed and have it clipped on the side of the tank but he hasn't noticed since h has been hiding hopefully he gets a peek at it and come out!

Varga

you can also try live algae. grape caulerpa worked for me.
How big is your tank? My naso was happiest with other, smaller tangs.

TylerHaworth

Tank is a bit small to house a Naso, but that's another story...

Give us a rundown of your setup, parameters, etc... it may be an environmental stressor instead of a temperamental stress

Reefin

i know i know the tank is a bit small and wanted a naso hoping as he got bigger i would put him in a friends 300g but for now my setup 55g dt with 30g fuge, one koralia 2 power head about 50lbs LR and 40lbs LS, and 2x150mh 20k
Po4- 1.0
nitrate- 5.0-10 range
CA- 50ppm
salinity-1.025
ph- 8.0-8.3
temp. 77.0 78.0 f
anything else I'm leaving out?

Varga

How big is the fish? Once the time comes to relocate, you may have to tear the tank down to catch him.

Reefin

3"-4" he seems to look like he's doing fine his colors are awesome doesnt look unhealthy just seems to his behind all my rocks idk it's like he's scared ?

Varga

could be just freaked out. fresh out of the ocean. This is one fish with brains :D

If his skin has one solid color, you should be ok. If his back fin is raised and his skin has light spots, then hes showing you his stress colors and is pissed off. good luck.

proenca

weird - mine ate like a pig - they all do actually - on algae.

they are a tad shy until they feel "at home", after that they are quite nice easy, peacefull fish.

mine just devoured nori like no tomorrow...

try putting some different macroalgae in the tank, to start him out : mine loved caulerpa and brown algae ( leafy type ) .

Reefin

today i came home from work to find my tang actually cruising around the tank picking some algae off the rocks but as soon as he noticed me he seemed to go back into hiding but through out the rest of the night he keeps venturing out on swimming around so i think he's fine just a lil skittish but he's improving I've also started added some seaweed in there for him clipped to a suction cup but doesn't seem like he's eaten any though

tyleratl

I'm having the same problem with a Blue Hippo Tang. He's been in hiding under a rock in my 90 gallon ever since I brought him home four days ago! His color is good but he won't move from that one spot for anything. The other fish are all fine.

lcstorc

Regals (hippos) are know for being skittish. Mine hid whenever anything startled him and he was the least agressive at feeding time.
What are the other fish in the tank? He is probably just scared. You would be amazed at how small of a space they can squeeze into.
Adressing a question earlier in the thread. Fish should not be fed any land based food including spinach, broccoli and other plants. Their digestive system is not designed to break down these foods.

Frankie

RS STAFF
i know i know the tank is a bit small and wanted a naso hoping as he got bigger i would put him in a friends 300g but for now my setup 55g dt with 30g fuge, one koralia 2 power head about 50lbs LR and 40lbs LS, and 2x150mh 20k
Po4- 1.0
nitrate- 5.0-10 range
CA- 50ppm
salinity-1.025
ph- 8.0-8.3
temp. 77.0 78.0 f
anything else I'm leaving out?
Is this a reef tank? If so your parameters are off. 50 on Ca++ is pretty poor. Most likely your other parameters like Magnesium and alkalinity are off also. (please post results for them too)
Other then that if it is a FOWLR your water parameters are less then perfect also. I recommend starting to do large water changes to get the P04 and nitrates down to 0. Be sure to test the new salt water prior to adding and make sure the salinity and temperature are equal to the DT's water.
Poor water quality will stress a fish like this out causing it to hide.