Nano Cube Questions

TomV

I'm planning to change out my 10g standard tank to a 12g Nano Cube. I plan to use all the rock and half of the water from the 10g when I do the switch. I will use most, if not all the Live Sand substrate and will supplement with the Southdown that I've had on hand for a while. I think this will produce a smaller, shorter cycle and will ease the transition.

I have some questions:

1. Will the lighting that comes with the cube be enough for what I will keep: Shrooms, Zoos, Xenia, maybe some other small polyps ?

2. How should I alter the filtration if keeping a reef? Should it be altered?

3. Where should the heater go? What kind of heater should I use so it wont melt anything? (I am using a small heater now for my 10g, can't remember the wattage). I have smaller ones too.

4. Can I use a Protein Skimmer with it? Where would it be put?

5. Does the filtration in the back work like a sump?

Thanks in advance!

saltwaterfarm

The PC lighting should be fine for those things.
If there are bio-balls and/or other nitrate factories in the wet/dry filter... they will need to be addressed.
You may be able to put a heater in the back...
There are some skimmers designed for the nanos... stay away from the fission one. The size will determine the placement... I think there are some made to fit in the back part of the tank.

I'm sure some more people who actually know more about this specific tank setup will chime in...

dobejazz

Congrats on the upgrade ! I agree with Lisa the lights will be fine for what you have. a small heater should fit in one of the back compartments. I haven't had a need for a heater in my 24g nano cube so I've not tried it

daveat

1. Will the lighting that comes with the cube be enough for what I will keep: Shrooms, Zoos, Xenia, maybe some other small polyps ?

if you are getting the DX (36watts i think) then yes it should be perfect!!

2. How should I alter the filtration if keeping a reef? Should it be altered?

get rid of all materials for filtration... buy a nanoskim plate (little thingy that sucks the water off the surface, mounts on the outside of sump area) and put a little peice of foam between it and sump area for mechanical filtration (works great on my 24)

3. Where should the heater go? What kind of heater should I use so it wont melt anything? (I am using a small heater now for my 10g, can't remember the wattage). I have smaller ones too.

heater should fit in back

4. Can I use a Protein Skimmer with it? Where would it be put?

you can do a HOB skimmer or you can checkout sapphire and see if they have a skimmer for the 12

5. Does the filtration in the back work like a sump?

kind of.. some people put lights back there and use it like a refugium too!!!

TomV

Well, I decided to stay with my 10g. I got a decent cleaning crew for it and got a new bulb for the 96w Corallife quad fixture.

I have a couple gorgonians in it now, a strawberry pseudochromis, an Oscellaris Clown, a Pajama Cardinal, and a good sized cleaning crew.

The Yellow Gorgonian is extending its polyps a little bit (been in the tank for about a week now). The purple isn't. The cleaning crew is doing what it should. The fish seem happy.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you don't mind my asking (gonna ask anyway just to save time) what changed your mind??

I currently have a SW 10g at home (set up to see if it was really possible and practical to do SW) and am now researching the idea of getting a Nano-Cube to go on my desk at work. The reason for the cube is purely about dimensions. If I didn't go with a "cube" design I would have to settle with a beta bowl or something really tiny. The cube gives me a maximum amount of H2O in the alloted space on my desk (already have that area cleaned and ready for the tank along with support storage and power strips underneath).

Your tank sounds VERY nice. Get some pics of it and post em back here.

Allen :)