"NANO" "AIO" sw self contained tanks. What brand?

eyedoc

Hey everyone,

I'm lookin to start my saltwater journey. As of now I'm lookin at the self contained tanks, but open to anything. I have looked on this site and found a couple helpful threads, I just wanted some more info.

I would like to know what problems ppl have had with which brands, and also if you felt compelled to upgrade lighting or filtering on it, what was that cost?

Currrently I have someone willing to sell me their Bio Cube 29 gal and stand for $280, with a little equipment. How good of a deal is that, and what should I know about Bio Cubes?

Thanks in advance.
It will be my first SW, and I'll be living in an apartment.
I bet you'll want to know that I would like to have an interesting array of colorful corals, invertebrates, and a few bright fish.

David.

eyedoc

I bet you'll want to know that I would like to have an interesting array of colorful corals, invertebrates, and a few bright fish.

Any bit of info is helpful

eyedoc

Last edited:

dobejazz

For a starter tank I like the Nano Cube type tanks I started with a 24g JBJ Nano cube about 3 1/2 years ago

a new Biocube I saw online for 269.00 but I don't know how much the stand is. Depending on how old the used tank is most likely you will need new light bulbs so figure that into the total cost.

dobejazz

I should add that the more I got into reef keeping I did end up upgrading my lights twice already - but I'm not sure it was needed - You can have a nice colorful set up with soft corals and some LPS like frogspawn with the stock lighting

eyedoc

Thanks - Can you tell me about the lighting upgrades? Is it just a new bulb? or some whole new setup... What, how, and how much?

dobejazz

Thanks - Can you tell me about the lighting upgrades? Is it just a new bulb? or some whole new setup... What, how, and how much?

I started with the stock 2 x 36w power compacts then added a retro kit to the hood to make it 4 x 36w

I was then gifted with some light demanding corals and was due for replacement bulbs so instead I purchased a Current Sunpod 150w MH light that hangs from the ceiling