Mystery Weed?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
it stared out with a few little balloons, 4 months later its getting big! is it safe to "harvest" some or will the juice cause me problems? Hmm cant post same pic?

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
6881d1174178927-my-joy-my-shame-warts-all-1mystery.gif

mps9506

I don't see any harm in harvesting it. If you are worried it will spread keep a fie mesh net handy to scoop up any broken peices as you pull it out.

DaBird

morning 'squatch, i like your tank, I have some of that same red macro and it's safe...my tangs love it...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
would it continue to grow if I cut it and sumped it? wish i new what it was,great colour and motion, it hasn't spread just the same starter bits. Lynn, freeze dried or wet and smelly?

DaBird

Try this link 'squatch, I think it's the SpikeWeed...or about halfway down is some that look a little more like your pic...I have the same red macro...RedAlgae

lcstorc

Its closer than you know, habitat area, Florida> Indian River Inlet! good hunting

I know where that is. Cool. Maybe I can find some here, I have always been too nervous to add anything local to the reef but I do have my qt set up. i could put it in there for a while to make sure I don't have any nasty hitchikers with it.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I think Dragonlady has it correct :D There are quite a few pics of this algae on RC

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
So Funny, last night I looked over and theres this huge red blob floating around the tank, its grown so fast that it lifted a 1 1/2 lb rock and floated away, some savage trimming returned it to the bottom, have thrown the trim in the sump to see if it does anything

EagleEyes

I liked that website Bird, also the algae appears to have the shape of a gracilaria that i know of. Gracilaria Salicornia. Is the actual color of it what is shown in the picture? or is it more of a dark color? Picture is below. My immediate impression was that it was this algae but the color could make it a different species. I have seen it grow different ways, like if it is in an area where the water motion is low, the stems are longer and it grows straight up. In areas with a lot of water motion it grows stubbly and in helmets. (rounded on top and a carved out area on the bottom.) it even just sits on the sea floor and rolls around sometimes.

http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/marlife/seaweeds/Gracilaria3.jpg