Mystery of diseased coral solved: Human feces to blame

Frankie

RS STAFF
Article provided by glampka :thumbup:

Expert: 'First time ever that a human disease has been shown to kill an invertebrate'

A strange new menace has joined the long list of threats to corals, the tiny reef-building animals that create important habitat in our oceans.
A bacterium that attacks humans is also killing off a species of coral in the Caribbean, elkhorn coral, according to researchers who proved the link by infecting fragments of the coral with bacteria from human sewage.
"This is quite an unusual discovery. It is the first time ever that a human disease has been shown to kill an invertebrate," said University of Georgia professor James Porter, one of the study researchers. "This is unusual because we humans usually get disease from wildlife, and this is the other way around."
In humans, the pathogen Serratia marcescens is opportunistic, causing respiratory, wound and urinary tract infections. In coral, it causes a disease Porter and colleagues have dubbed "white pox" for the white scars that appear on infected elkhorn coral. These scars appear where the coral's living tissue has disappeared, leaving only its skeleton.
Worldwide coral faces a litany of threats. Hurricanes, which are predicted to increase in severity and number as a result of climate change, break coral to bits; warming water temperatures cause it to eject its photosynthetic algae and to bleach; ocean acidification may be impairing the animals' ability to form their skeletons; and they are plagued by poor water quality and many diseases, most of them with unknown causes.
The coral cover in the Caribbean has declined 50 percent over the past 15 years, and elkhorn coral has declined by almost 90 percent during the same time period, according to Porter.

Click here to read the entire article: Human feces behind coral disease, study finds - US news - Environment - LiveScience - msnbc.com

Last edited:

redneckgearhead

It looks like the "Expert" might be stretching the story a bit when he says 'First time ever that a human disease has been shown to kill an invertebrate'. From what I can find, Serratia marcescens is a very common microbe that is found in soil, water and plants and animals. I would be curious to know if it is possible to look at a microbe as abundant as this seems to be and determine that it came from human feces and not somewhere else?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Thoric, the link works just fine for me. I edited your post because it was linking to an outside vendor and looks as if you were actually spamming our site. ;) If you have a problem with this again please do not post it on the open forum but rather send it to one of the staff.

Thanks! Frankie~