My zoanthids are gone!!??

wickjr

I have had two colonys of zooanthids for about 6 months now that were thriving and spreading at a pretty good rate. Then it seemed like a the polyp numbers began declining just one or two at a time. Then seemingly overnight, the rest, save about 3 total polyps, are gone. I have an ocellaris clown, who I really don't suspect, 3 peepermint shrimp, 20 or so hermits, and a bunch of various snails. Is it possible that the peppermint shrimp ate them. They did a great job wiping out an aptasia problem I had a while back, and it seems I've heard or read about peps occasionally making a meal of zooanthids. Could this be the case? Seems strange they would live with them for a few months then all at once make a late night snack of them. The other option is the hermits, which I hope is not the case because I would feel REALLY stupid for not heeding the warnings of so many people on this site. Has anyone ever had this problem?

lcstorc

Well, obviously I would love to blame the crabs (see sig lol), but I honestly do not know. Interresting question though since I have given up on Zoanthids in my reef since they never do well. I keep them fine in my seahorse tank. I always assumed it was the difference in flow and lighting, but I do have peppermints in the reef and do not have them in the seahorse tank.
Are they completely gone? Mine have always contracted and disappeared over time.

Charlie97L

i'd say your prime suspects are the peppermints, they can decimate zoas, which are pretty closely related to aiptasia. one of the downsides.

wickjr

Yes, they are gone. I have three total polyps remaining, but not even a stump or anything of the others. Really dissapointing too, they were doing so well. Looks like I'll be up late this weekend. I have been watching as much as I can, but work has been brutal the last few months and sleep is at a premium. Things are letting up now, so maybe I'll catch the culprit. And I'll be able to spend a little more time on here as well. Seems it's been forever since I've had time for anything. I should have watched the tank last weekend, seeing as how I was too sick to sleep after the dismall performance by my Irish.... Oh well.
I have heard that peps occasionally eat zoanthids. Is there anything else that I should not keep with them, for future reference. That is, if they turn out to be the problem.

lcstorc

I know there is a type of snail that will take them out. I forget the details, but apparently they are really small and breed rapidly. Try a search you should be able to find the thread. Sorry just too tired ATM.

burning2nd

i have serveral zoo's in my tank and my 2 peppermints dont even like the sight of them.

pending that you dont have something other then what you said, my tank is simmular 2 your in the livestock snails hermits

but ive never hurd of that. not saying they didnt but wow. im gonna have to keep my eye on herb b4 he starts wrecking things

wickjr

I watched the remaining polyps last night as much as I could. I didn't see anything. Another one is gone this morning though. From the description of the Sundial Snail, it seems the polyps would not disappear completely but die off after being eaten from the inside through a hole in the base. That's not what has happened. They have literally vanished all at once. No trace. Whatever is eating them, they are doing a thorough job of it. I noticed once a few months ago one of the larger hermit crabs I had hanging out in the area of the zoanthids, but I immediately removed it, and have since not noticed the hermits paying any attention to the zoanthids at all. I fear it is too late for the colonies I had, but really like zoas and want to figure out what's up before I add any more.

Jorgens

WEll for what it's worth ( and we all know my experience is crappy at best) I have observed both my hermits AND peps "stealing" food from my sun polyps (orange coral or whatever). I understand minimal feeding for water Q so things my be a bit hungry as my tank is not fully established. But when i manually feed my polyps crabs/peps com running over and grab what they can out of there grasp. its'a few days before they'll even think of opening again and 1/2 the tenticles were damaged. Both are still there but they did seem to take a beating. Not sure if that can help but good luck!!!

music man

Are you sure you got Peps. sometimes there is a very similar shrimp that looks enough like one to fool even an expert. I forget the sub species though sorry. give us a pic of shrimpy maybe you need a bottle of cocktail sauce for them.

See post below thats the cocktail sauce shrimp I mentioned.

Thanks Warnberg

Warnberg

Are you positive you have peppermint shrimp and not the look alike camel shrimp. I have 10 to 15 peppermint shrimp in my tank and they have never touched any of my Zoo's, however I have known camel shrimp to eat them...

Charlie97L

warnberg, that was my next suggestion. camels will chow down on many soft coral.

some peppermints (although we have to take the words of the reefers that these WERE peps and not camels) have been reported to eat zoas, but i would guess that's a freak thing.

peppermints will be pink pink with red strips. camels have are tan/clear with red stripes and have a different pattern. check out liveaquaria for the differences, they have good pics.

i don't even know why camels are sold. gosh!

wickjr

They are definitely peps. Two are very pink, one a little more clear with a pink tint. All have the straight stripes down the length of the body and red tails. I would post a pic but my digital camera is not working right. I'll have my new one soon and will post some. I have never seen the peps anywhere near the zoanthids, or any of the other soft corals. My xenia and nepthia are doing great, as is the mushroom. My ricordia has actually split into two healthy corals. Nothing seems to be bothered by whatever has wiped out the zoas. If it was sundial snails, will they eat other corals once the zoas are gone?

Warnberg

One more thing you want to look for.... Nudi's, they are small and you have to look very carfully as they will turn the color of the zoo they are eating. This is why I always give all Zoo's that go into my tank "The Dip".

Charlie97L

warnberg, could nudis be eating them that quickly? it sounds like several polyps are being mowed down overnight.

Warnberg

I doubt it, but I've seen stranger things. If there are enough of them all working on the same poylp I suppose. First thing that usually happens is the polyp will close (because of nudi) they then start in on them. But consuming an entire polyp overnight is not the norm.