My torch coral

troxy12

I am kind of at a lost as what to do here. When i first put my torch in my tank it looked good. Check out the pictures if you click on my link below. It has been a month since then and now the coral will barely open. Calcium level is 460 my ph is 8.2, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate...Everything seems to be ok, but the coral wont open up. My LFS suggested moving it to different spots in the aquarium but that hasnt worked. Any suggestions?

astiesi

What is your flow like in the tank? Direct flow will cause it to close and could damage the coral. I've found medium indirect flow to work well for my hammer coral.

troxy12

Its an aquapod and I had heard that about direct flow so I don't have direct flow on the coral...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Any high-flow (direct or not) that causes the tentacles to "potentially" be blown around will cause reduced extension. Remember the tissue of the tentacles is very soft and easily torn. Ironically it is most often torn by the flow pushing them back onto their very own skeleton.

troxy12

I've heard that if the coral is splitting into a new head, it will stay closed until it is finished...Is this true?

nstiesi

Not in my experience. I have a frogspawn that split into two heads and I never even noticed that it happened until I was moving it one day and noticed a second mouth. It was always open and so full that I couldn't see the definition of the new head.