My sand bed is 2-3"...OH MY!

EricTheRed

I've had a FOWLR tank for 4 years and (after a wipeout) turned the tank into a reef tank 4 months ago. (Making me a "reef newbie") Prior to the tank transformation, I had about an inch of sand to my 90gal tank. As part of the transformation, I took the bioballs out of my wet/dry and replaced with LR rubble on the advice of my LFS. I have since removed the rubble (based on advice from you guys) and have only Chaeto in my sump. Here's my latest question...After just reading about DSB's, I learned the 4+" is good, but 2-3" can cause harm. I would like to add more live sand, but now worry about disrupting the existing bed in the process. Quite frankly, I'm shocked that my LFS didn't take the opportunity a few months ago to sell me more sand. (I'm quickly learning that this particular store has up-sold me things for years that I didn't need!) Anyone know why 2-3" is bad? Any advice on how to add extra sand and if I should? :banghead:

I have a 90Gal, w/ about 70lbs LR (half old and the other half added a few months ago) In the tank now...a star polyp, toadstool (frag), candy cane, xenias (frag) and zoes (frag). I also have a mocha clown, purple psuedochromis, 2 banggai cardinals, a male & female lyretail anthias,

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Its not that 3" sandbed will cause harm precisely. Its that you need a 4" sanbed for denitrfication to take place. Anything less and you won't get it.

One of the cons to a sand bed is that they can accumulate detritus and become a nutrient sink. So what you get with a 3" sandbed is all of the cons of a 4" bed, but none of the benefits.You may not have a problem; its just a chance you will

1Reefer

I have been adding to my DSB for the past few weeks, just do it slowly and make sure to rinse it VERY well.

I have found the best way to be rinse real well, then drain the best you can. Get a length of PVC long enough to reach your SB and still stick out of the water, place a large funnel on the end of the PVC that's out of the water. Now hold the PVC just above the SB and pour/place (its not going to pour well when wet you might have to use a small cup) some sand into the funnel. Its not going to slide down right away so just put as much sand you want in that area in the funnel. Now take a cup of tank water and slowly pour it into the funnel, it will drain the sand down the PVC. Repeat in all the areas you want more sand...... just try not to add more than 1/2" - 1" in one area at a time. Try to space adding sand in the same area out, maybe once a week until you get the desired depth.

I add sand about once a month, in very small amounts. But I have added up to an inch in one area and it didn't seem to hurt anything, I never add to the entire SB in one day. Maybe do one side one day and do the next side a few days to a week later.

If you rinse the sand very well and use this method it won't cloud your tank too badly.... there will still be slight clouding but this will reduce it greatly.