My RSM 130. 1st SW Tank. Trials and Tribulations

Gavin1110

So ive taken the plunge into sumpdom and pretty much copied reefmack. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right?

Went with the Eshopps RS75, Lifereef overflow, MJ1100 and a Tunze Osmo. I will pick up a BRS reactor and then I'll be cooking with gas.

On a side note picked up some new zoa's and acan. The zoa's are pepto pink and took about a week to open. Some are still finicky.

What prompted this huge upgrade... well I needed a ATO as my schedule does not permit me to be back as often as I would like to top off. I also have to keep the overhead fan on in my room to keep moisture from building and causing mold causing more evap. With the ATO, I fear that it will stick on one day and flood my house... plus water levels in the rear with filter sponge = problems. A sump will allow me to have the volume to absorb any pumps sticking on and give a consistent area in which to place the sensors.

Last, I will be going on vacation in May so I don't want to have to worry about the tank's ministerial functions while I'm away. (on a side note the last nail in the coffin was I spent too long at my GF's this weekend and evap caused bubbles, the bubbles caused my corals to excrete mucus, which then caused the filter pad to clog. Even after having a family member top off it had cut the flow to the point it was still creating more bubbles...)

Gavin1110

Of course I will not blame you Reefmack. It makes a lot of sense honestly, I think it is a good move. My only question is should I move the heater to the sump or leave it in the rear chamber.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The sump is a nice place to keep a heater, but mine is still in the back - I think it was too long to fit in my small sump.

Gavin1110

Dismantled this tank because I started falling behind on maintenance and didn't want to let the fish and corals suffer. Additionally, having to keep it in a small room with the door closed (because of a cat) led to humidity problems and sleep deprivation due to a gurgling overflow box. Will start up another tank when I graduate only 1 more year left.

Gavin1110

I gave away what I could coral wise, fragged some for the pico and dumped the rock because it had hydroids, string worms, and likely dormant diatoms somewhere inside. Still got the RSM in my parents basement.

If I start back up it will be when i find a 15g and stand for cheap on craigslist. I can use my 24" 4x24 T5 fixture MP10 and sump. I want to have less volume to make my Tunze nano work better and so I don't have to mix up 5g buckets of salt every weekend.

The RSM may become a FOWLR or Planted seahorse tank eventually.

Gavin1110

Hello all, So I've started a 15g SPS last winter and its coming along. I will post a link to the thread once I create a new post. Hope everyone in the RSM forum is doing well. My picotope is still going (not strong but hanging in there)