My live sand has metal in it

jbeckett25

I have had my tank set up for around a year now and have been meaning to ask is it normal to have metals in your live sand? when running algee srapper magnets in tank I have to be careful not to get to close to the sand or it will pick up metal that will scatch the tank have been thinking about dragging a magnet throught the sand to try and pull some out but don't know if this is normal I haven't read anything about this any were well I would like to here your thoughts thanks

mine does. i have the black live-sand and if you drop a magnet on the sand it picks up this black sandy metal, dont worry it wont do anything to ur tank

DrHank

It certainly doesn't sound normal. In order for a magnet to pick it up, it would have to be an iron containing metal. It shouldn't hurt anything. Iron is FE (ferrous) and is a component of Ferric Oxide Hydroxide (also known as Phosban) which we use to remove phosphates.

dmyers557

That does not sound right. I would just use the magnet and pull it all out. It can't be too hard, right? Better safe than sorry.