my large upgrade 215g

twoclowns

I am upgrading from 125 with 30t refugium to a 215g reef ready with dual overflows, with a 125g sump/frag/refugium.
New equipment that I am considering

pan world px100 return pump about 750gph back to the main tank

1 ecotech vortech pump for the main tank

3 hydor koralia 4 pumps one for the main 2 for the frag section

hamilton dual 250w 14k metal halides main tank with two 6ft strght actinics
sump with use current dual 175w halides 14k, and 6ft 50/50

going to trade frag corals or old 125 tk and stand to pet store for 150#slive rock

one manybe two bags of carbsea small size agaragate

maybe a tunze 6000 with controller not sure yet

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

twoclowns

It will have some sps, but they will be on one side were the vortech pumps to, pretty much and the brains, montipora, other hard corals will be on the other side with less current and my squamosa clam in the middle and hopefully room for a second one. maybe a maxima and crecea too.

Also, do you guys think the return to the sump is enough, not sure what the overflow capacity is for dual overflows for a 215 reef ready. almost 4 cycles per hour.

twoclowns

well I broke down and got 2 ecotech vortechs paid ($605 shipped) they will go into the 215g and 2 hydor koralia 4 pumps for the frag section of the tank, got everything except the 215g, stand. need to build the top and pipe. Its going to be so much fun. The 125g stand is built and stained, the tank has been baffled so the first 26inches will be a refugium and the rest frag grow out. waiting for my marine depot (pan world and hydor pumps) and saltycritter (halide lighting) orders to come in.

Yet stressful because some how I got montipora eating nudibranches in my frag (30t) and 125g display, had to remove as much as I could and freshwater dip then into a seperate nano tank to hopefully recover, the rest in my man tank are a total loss, the stuff i couldn't save ( only have so much in the nano) got yanked and junked into a freshwater bath to die, lost about $800-1000 worth of montipora that could have been sold to local stores. Guess I won't be able to have montipora in that system for atleast 7 months.

Last edited:

twoclowns

And finally the tank and stand is suppose to be in this week only a year+ in the waiting. I will take pictures of the switch over process and the new layout. Should be a lot of fun.

tbittner

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear about your monti!!!

Where did you find TWO Vortechs for $605??? That's a killer deal!

twoclowns

I fixed the links but I am having problems with shrinking file size, the pictures at 200K look grainy? Help please? you can flip through all the pics on the folder too.

rebekwl

Your tank looks awesome! All of your corals are BEAUTIFUL!! I ALMOST didn't notice that you don't have any fish in there ;)

twoclowns

thanks, I actually have 1 possum wrasse but a 2 inch fish in a 215 isn't noticeable. I moved my tomi tang and 6 line from my 72g that I am breaking down into the 215 so now there is 3 fish. I'll add a few more thinking about adding 3 more yellow banded possum wrasses, a few clown gobies, orange spot rabbitfish, and maybe two other gobies.

Sorry for your loss. What type of program are you using to resize your images. If you want, PM me and I think I can assist in helping with a resize, without the grain if you'd like. :)

On another note, tunining into this thread to watch the tank grow (litterally) <heh>