My FW tanks

The clownfish aren't happening for a while (gotta get done with college and have some room for another tank), so for now, I'm contenting myself with two FW setups, both only 10g.

My first is a semi-planted (i.e. 90% fake), natural-looking setup tailored for dwarf puffers. They're cute and friendly, and I really enjoy them, especially when they put on their "feed me!" faces. (Oh, wait, they've never taken them off in the first place.) :D They know exactly what the food container looks like! Their names are Thumbelina (see my avatar) and James Bond. They live with two oto cats, Thomasina and Septimus, and a ghost shrimp.

My other setup is a WIP. I've got three neon tetras in there. The reason I have so few is that I did a fishless cycle, but I suspected that I hadn't added enough ammonia and that my biofilter wouldn't be able to handle a full load right away. With the first three, I got a mini-cycle. Once that calms down, three more tetras and a blue halfmoon betta will join them. This setup isn't natural-looking, unlike the first. Substrate is black and blue gravel; decorations are slabs of red glass. However, I think that the colors I've chosen will set the fish off nicely, especially in the low lighting I've chosen.

If anyone's interested in pics of the DP tank, let me know, and I'll upload them. I'm rather proud of this setup. :bluenod:

yungreefer2410

its against the formal code of reef sanctuary to talk about your tank and not post pics, we all love pics here in rs

The full-tank shot is a little outdated. In the past month or so, I've planted it more heavily, and the background is FW plants, rather than blue. But you get the idea. :)

The second one was because of a substrate change. I had just gotten new gravel, and I had bagged the old stuff up in pantyhose and left it in until the bacteria could move to the new substrate. The extra filter had a pantyhose bag in it. It's gone now.

WIP = Work In Progress.

I would post pictures of the second one, but my sister took the camera with her on a retreat, and she won't be back for a week.

And she lost the cord, and our computer (which reads memory cards) crashed, and my laptop won't take memory cards. That's why those pictures are outdated.

acemow - Thanks. :) It'll be ages till it's fully stocked, as my LFS can't find a blue or red halfmoon betta at any of the KY suppliers. After three weeks of searching, the manager has started to call out-of-state suppliers. The poor guy spent four and a half hours picking up his regular stock because he kept stopping to look for my betta.

They really are. They greet me when I walk in the room, and the looks on their faces when I sit down to feed them is priceless.

CATALYST

I have a FW tank too and they all come to the side and wiggle like crazy. I'd look at those but I have WAY too many fish in my tank.

They're pretty big in terms of bioload. Three to five gallons apiece, and not (not, not, not) fit for community tanks. They're tiny, but they're vicious! :flaming: But if you ever get another FW setup, these little guys are well worth it. I spent a lot of money and time, plus sweat and tears, but I've finally got fat, healthy little puffers, and they're wonderful.