My anemone is trying to hang itself...xD

Joker23

Ok, well, I have a Sebae anemone and atleast one every two days, it starts to make a string around itself...once it gets thick enough, I just take it off and it feels like string, and as tough as string...this "string" looks like its made of tiny rocks mixed with strong slime and its brown, and it always shows around the anemone under the collar...so...yeah...any info on this ?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't picture what you're talking about but I don't think I'd try to remove it. Remember we're dealing with "Nature" here and these animals do things for a reason. Keep in mind the more you "adjust" things or interfere the more potential stress you are introducing to the animal. I prefer to sit back and observe.

cbrownfish

Are you certain that the anemone is generating this choke collar itself? This is a new one on me. A pic may help us determine what it is.

Kvaill

Ok, well, I have a Sebae anemone and atleast one every two days, it starts to make a string around itself...once it gets thick enough, I just take it off and it feels like string, and as tough as string...this "string" looks like its made of tiny rocks mixed with strong slime and its brown, and it always shows around the anemone under the collar...so...yeah...any info on this ?

I'm curious what ever came of this anemone? I know this post is old but I have a rose tip that has started doing this. Thanks for any info :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Kvaill,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

hensleyac

I have a new tank set up and have been told if I want one, an anemone and 2 clowns should go in before anything else. I guess it may move around awhile until it finds a spot it likes. I am going Reef so I may not be able to change water flow and rockscape later as it could chose to relocate and mow down corals along the way...??? what to do?

DaveK

I have a new tank set up and have been told if I want one, an anemone and 2 clowns should go in before anything else. ...

This is incorrect. Did your LFS tell you that? If so find a new LFS.

You can put the clowns in as your first fish if you want to. The do not require an anemone to host in.

Anemones require a well established tank that is stable, has high quality water, and very good lightiong. They should never be added to a new system. I highly recommend you return the anemone to your LFS. I know this sounds extreme, but it's very difficult to start off with an anemone. It usually requires about a year before a new tank is stable enough to add one.