My 40B Stocklist Ideas?

Jvo

This is my plan so far for a 40 Gallon Breeder I purchased recently. Any recommendations would be great.

Fish List:
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Sleeper Gold Head Goby
Green Mandarin
Azure Damselfish
Midas Blenny
Coral Beauty Angelfish

Invertibrates:
Pistol Shrimp
Skunk Shrimp
Crabs

The fish would obviously be added gradually. But if there is a particular order I should add them in that would be good to know. I have read the Sleeper Goby should be a later addition because you want the sand to your tank well established.

Anyone have experience specifically with the Green Mandarins? I have never seen them at my LPS

Once I get my stand built I will setup a post with Photos.

Last edited:

DaveK

A 40 gal tank is on the small size for a mandarin. I'd call it doable, but make sure it gets enough to eat. Also, you must exclude other pod eating fish such as the wrasse.

Leave out the damsel, unless all you want are damsels. They tend to become very aggressive as they mature.

Any SW angel can be a problem, depending upon the individual fish. Have a plan B ready in case the fish doesn't work out.

Be careful with the shrimp and crabs verses a wrasse. You may end up with a very well fed wrasse.

Reactions: Jvo

Jvo

A 40 gal tank is on the small size for a mandarin. I'd call it doable, but make sure it gets enough to eat. Also, you must exclude other pod eating fish such as the wrasse.

Leave out the damsel, unless all you want are damsels. They tend to become very aggressive as they mature.

Any SW angel can be a problem, depending upon the individual fish. Have a plan B ready in case the fish doesn't work out.

Be careful with the shrimp and crabs verses a wrasse. You may end up with a very well fed wrasse.

Fish List:
Sleeper Gold Head Goby
Green Mandarin
Midas Blenny
Coral Beauty Angelfish

Invertibrates:
Pistol Shrimp
Skunk Shrimp
Crabs

rostervandross

I think snails are nice to have.. they are cheap and you can get lots of varieties to try and spot around your tank.

There are some that bury under the sand and stick up a little tube to sense for food.. and there are small conch snails that have eyes and a foot to move around.. neat creatures.

silver97

I'd almost say snails are a must, there are a bunch of different algae outbreaks you can have down the line that snails help to combat. I've only had my tank since July and they have dealt with diatoms, film and various other types.
And like what @rostervandross said, the ones that stick their tubes up, nassassarius snails, make sure no food goes to waste. They are faster than any of my crabs when searching for fresh food.
Other than that, fish wise you seem to have a good plan, nice game plan of taking advantage of the space you have in a 40B. I have heard mandarin fish are very hard to take care of, and that's why I have hesitated on getting one. My LFS did not recommend me getting one for my 40B, and for the fact that I was new to the hobby. Just be careful if you do, I'd maybe add that one later so you could at least have a few months experience with your other fish to see how you can handle them.