my 2 month old 225g

aprime11b

Hey, been looking for a good reef forum so happy I found this. Been keeping freshwater and a few saltwater tanks over the last 10 years, recently moved and sold everything.. Recently I purchased a full system for a great price, minus a few things for $1100.

Little about what I have:

225g glass tank:

It has:
2 1'' drilled overflows
assortments of fish (17 total)
4 turbo snails
15 other snails
4 polyp frag
Approximately 125lbs of LR
3 koralia power heads
1 air stone

40g sump:

It has:
a filter sock on the intake
approximately 50lbs of LR
Octopus protein skimmer
carbon reactor
GFO reactor
2 foam blocks near pump section of sump
1 bag of ammonia rocks

15g refugium:

It has:
approximately 40lbs LR and rubble
4'' DBD
Chaeto algae
light
power head with foam filter
3 peppermint shrimp
1 turbo snail
2 blue leg crabs

The refugium and sump are in the stand and the refugium sits about 4 inches above the sump and is gravity fed into the sump and eventually pumped back into the display.

No heater is used due to the heat the lights cause.

In the hood, there is a ATF HO T5 10 bulb 80w light fixture with an LED light strip for moonlights.

Main lights are on for 10-10.5 hours a day.

Reverse cycle for the moon lights and refugium light.

15% water change is done once a month and sump maintenance a few times a week with daily glass cleaning.

The tank was set up about 2 months ago and is battling a bit of algae on sand,rocks and back of tank.

If you have any suggestions or improvements for me please let me know, I am always trying to make it nicer and an healthier system. Thanks!

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...225g-picture24331-2013-01-22-13-43-26-865.jpg

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...225g-picture24330-2012-12-28-17-07-33-474.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

aprime11b-albums-225g-picture24330-2012-12-28-17-07-33-474.jpg

to get your pics to show up... add this syntax around your url :)

aprime11b

I had to leave for training and the wife has trouble taking care of things, there was a big algae outbreak worst than cyclying it... I am battling it now and had to clean all powerheads/lights and the sand and LR is covered in bad stuff.... no fish died though...

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What do your water readings look like? Also, what are you using for a clean up crew? A good CUC can go a long way!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Just another thought (if you're looking for some!). From the pic it doesn't look like a lot of rock so if you added more rock it would help the biological filter, couple that with a good skimmer and it should really help!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
There isn't much that you can't battle back out of with work & patience ;)
I would certainly have to use lots of it if I had to leave tank maintaining up to my hubby, uugh! LOL!
You have an AWESOME looking set up. I do think you need more LR to increase filtration. Adding some might even re-new your excitement about the tank.
Glad to see you update your thread. New picture soon, I hope! :thumbup: