My 120 to 300 upgrade...it begins!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Have you checked to see if the problem is from the bulkheads ? I had an issue with them when I setup my tank, I over-tightened and it caused a slow leak.

stilgore

I am going to refill the tank this weekend and see if I can find the exact location of the problem.

Wish me luck!!

Craig

stilgore

Well, I filled the tank up again and as soon as the tank was about half way full the leak began from the same place:doh:

I did call the LFS owner and he stated that he would give me my money back for the tank. I told him I would rather apply the money towards ordering a new one.

I hope a new doesn't cost me that much more.

For all you folks who have planned large tanks like this I would LOVE some input and advice!!

I want the same dimensions (96x30x24) viewable from 3 sides so it will need to have an end overflow.

And advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

cioutlaw

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Glasscages.com has tanks the same size & will put a overflow in how ever you want. I have a 72x30x25 arriving next Sat. will let you know how it looks. For a idea of price mine was $1300 ish with 30" wide overflow, (2) 2" bulkheads drilled, (2) 1.5" bulkheads drilled, 2 long & 1 short side in Starfire glass, eurobracing & 2 center braces.

stilgore

Ok, that wouldn't be too bad. For those of you with the starfire glass.....does it really make a noticable difference for clearer viewing?

Please let me know because that is one upgrade I was considering. The tank that I will be returning has one large center brace. Are there any options for this? Would you get a tank this size without any kind of bracing?

Thanks,
Stil

mps9506

Ok, that wouldn't be too bad. For those of you with the starfire glass.....does it really make a noticable difference for clearer viewing?

Please let me know because that is one upgrade I was considering. The tank that I will be returning has one large center brace. Are there any options for this? Would you get a tank this size without any kind of bracing?

Thanks,
Stil

From the starfire tanks I've seen in person, it does make a great deal of difference on the large tanks. Not as big of a deal in the small tanks with thinner glass. But with the large tanks with thick glass and lots of front to back depth, the clarity is very noticable.
As far as bracing, I'm a big fan of Eurobracing. Although I have no personal experience with eurobracing large tanks.

stilgore

I have been trying to draw some sketches of the tank I will now be ordering since this one is a goner.

I was curious, can anyone tell me if there is a standard width for eurobracing in a 300 gallon glass aquarium? I was going to have 4 holes drilled in it to place the outputs of my OM and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't compromise the strength of the bracing.

Thanks,
Stil

Frankie

RS STAFF
I don't know if there is a standard on the width but i would want at least 3" to 3 1/2" on it. I think drilling it is a great idea for the Ocean Motions!
I find starphire to be much clearer then standard glass. I will never have a tank without it now.

stilgore

I just spoke with the gentleman who sold me the tank. He told me he would like to try to re-silicon the inside of the tank prior to refunding me the amount I paid or ordering me a new tank.

He asked if I would cut out the silicon about 1 foot on either side of the leak and he would come to my house and try to reapply the silicon.

I would love this to work as it would save me a little money(due to the additional cost of a new aquarium) but will this work?

I would think that even if I cut the silicon on either side of the leak that would still leave two seamsin the silicon.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Frankie

RS STAFF
This is hard to respond to. I use to fix my lfs tanks this way when i was in NY. If you have the experience with silicone and do a clean job it should be repairable. Him asking you to cut it out tells me either he's to lazy or is trying to turn this into YOUR problem. Once you touch it this way you would have a hard time proving it was not your doing from the beginning. I would ask him to fix it or repay the money.

rDr4g0n

ok, repairing it is not as hard as youd think it is. like i said, if you can pinpoint the source of the leak, you can get a $5 tube of aquarium silicone at walmart, put it on the inside and outside (After drying it up of course) let it sit for 2 days, and your golden. thats probably what hes going to do as well.

as for him having you cut the silicon around it... ehhh seems kinda weird. he should do it all.

stilgore

I got kind of a strange question.

I am trying to fix the leak in the tank and I am trying to avoid taking it off the stand at all costs.

Would there be a problem with me (215 lbs) getting inside the tank to do some of the repairs?

Thanks,
Stil

stilgore

LOL...that's what I thought. I was just worried about the weight distribution. Most of my weight will be on my hands and knees not equally distributed like the water.

I figured It would be ok. Just wanted to be sure

Laters,
Stil