Mushroom Removal Question

EdgeKrusher

It's been over a year since I've been on this site, and my tank has really been doing well. I had a bunch of zoos, purple, and orange shrooms. Over the past year the purple mushrooms have grown exponentially and have overgrown the zoos and are starting to overtake the orange shrooms. What is the best way to remove some of these so that they don't grow back?

Thanks

EK

You don't want to remove the shrooms inside the tank, the toxin will kill other corals especially sps.

The best way to remove them is to take the rock out and turn it upside down, the shrooms will hang down away from the rock, some will be able to taken off easily while other you will need to use a bone cutter plier and cut a piece of the rock where the base of the shroom is attached becarefull not to breack the shrooms, rinse the rock with clean salt water before putting it back into the tank. For smaller ones you can use Joe's juice while its inside the tank and it will desolved, becarefull not to do too many at a time and use carbon to keep chemical warfare to a minimum.

EdgeKrusher

Thanks I'll give that a try. One question though, where do I get a bone cutter plier from? Sounds like some sort of medical instrument.

Cassette87

You don't want to remove the shrooms inside the tank, the toxin will kill other corals especially sps.

The best way to remove them is to take the rock out and turn it upside down, the shrooms will hang down away from the rock, some will be able to taken off easily while other you will need to use a bone cutter plier and cut a piece of the rock where the base of the shroom is attached becarefull not to breack the shrooms, rinse the rock with clean salt water before putting it back into the tank. For smaller ones you can use Joe's juice while its inside the tank and it will desolved, becarefull not to do too many at a time and use carbon to keep chemical warfare to a minimum.

Honestly? :( I wish id've know this I hope I don't lose anything! I had to remove one that was intruding on my yuma. Hopefully all will be okay! Thanks for the info!!