Multicolor Dwarf Angel & C130?

dgilbert2

I've seen a lovely Multicolor Dwarf Angel today and would love to add it to my C130 reef tank. However, I think the C130 is too small? Apart from my corals I only have two small common Clownfish.

Would you add, or keep away?

multicolor-angelfish-house-of-fins.jpg

Revan

I'd go for it... While 34 gallons is not ideal, it can work. With those clownfish you might be maxed out though. Maybe one or two more small fish and that's it. If those clownfish ever pair up and spawn this might throw a wrench into the mix too. Something might have to go. GL.

dgilbert2

I'd go for it... While 34 gallons is not ideal, it can work. With those clownfish you might be maxed out though. Maybe one or two more small fish and that's it. If those clownfish ever pair up and spawn this might throw a wrench into the mix too. Something might have to go. GL.

Thanks for your feedback, I will need to sleep on it as the fish is quite expensive too :-o

DaveK

I'd say a multicolor angel in a tank that size is on the marginal side. Ideally you should have a larger tank. Your also talking about a fairly expensive fish. As nice as the fish is, I think your better off considering something else, unless your long term plans are to upgrade the tank.

dgilbert2

Having slept on this, I've decided to keep searching for another fish, even though the Multicolor angel is such a lovely fish. However, its too much of a risk to put the fish into my relatively "small" tank. Also, I'd read a few times where this pygmy angel was more prone to nibble, or even eat, my corals.

Thank goodness I've learnt not to impulse buy :-o

Thanks for everyone's help.

Revan

Not buying it is probably the best bet, but don't forget that it can work. If your not asking the girls out then you can never really expect to get married, no? Money should be of no concern IMO, being that this an expensive hobby to begin with. If it's not this it's that. It's always nice to hear a success story as opposed to a horror flick though. (even if it's not ideal) GL.

dgilbert2

I understand what your saying, my instinct and past experience was setting off alarm bells in my head though. My days of taking every girl out are long gone though :winky:

DaveK

Having slept on this, I've decided to keep searching for another fish, even though the Multicolor angel is such a lovely fish. However, its too much of a risk to put the fish into my relatively "small" tank. Also, I'd read a few times where this pygmy angel was more prone to nibble, or even eat, my corals.

Thank goodness I've learnt not to impulse buy :-o

Thanks for everyone's help.

Just about any of the dwarf angels might nip at corals. It all depends upon the individual fish. Some are no trouble at all, others try to eat every coral in sight, still others start out good, and turn bad. I'd say add one you like and see how you make out, but have a plan B ready just in case things don't work out.

DaveK

Not buying it is probably the best bet, but don't forget that it can work. If your not asking the girls out then you can never really expect to get married, no? Money should be of no concern IMO, being that this an expensive hobby to begin with. If it's not this it's that. It's always nice to hear a success story as opposed to a horror flick though. (even if it's not ideal) GL.

While things might work, when you try to break generally accepted requirements, you chances of success drop very fast. It's real easy to end up with a tank of very dead livestock.

If your trying to keep a very difficult fish, and you have done your homework, and have a very specific plan on how your going to try and maintain it, that's one thing. If your just taking a fish and adding it to your tank, and thinking, I'll just see how it does, you are doing yourself a disservice.

As for "Money should be of no concern" I completely disagree. While the hobby is expensive, there is no reason to make it more expensive, especially when your adding fish that have a small chance of long term success. When you do this, you have spent the money and have nothing to show for your efforts and money. Now think how much different things are if you get something that will do well in your system. You'll have it many years, and have something to show off to people.