Mud in the DT..share your experience

livebait

This is the second part of two threads. I hope it stands seperate from the other so that it will be easier for me to really take in the info I hope to get. So mods/admin...please don't merge both of my substrate threads.

That being said...I am having a difficult time deciding the 'floor' of my upcoming macro/h. fuscus tank. This option would use 2" of mud covered by 1" of 2mm sand/garf grunge mix (<---I love this stuff and highly recommend it).
But I've read ALOT of horror stories on using mud so I'm hoping to get a mix of opinions and experiences to help me in my decision. So please share, it's greatly appreciated.

If you have experience with using a Plenum system please share it here:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ussion/56423-opinions-plenums.html#post772548
:dance:

livebait

bump cuz I know there are those of you that have used mud...maybe not in the dt but still. Also I know there are different types of mud, i.e. MiracleMud, but I'm not being specific because I don't want info on just one brand.

In my tank Graf Grunge= Major algae bloom

I purchased some grunge myself but it did not seem to have the life that yours had Livebait. It caused a good nitrate spike and made my substrate look unsightly in my opinion. I just removed most of my grunge and kept shells and coralline rock for aquascaping. No experience using "Mud" here...

livebait

In my tank Graf Grunge= Major algae bloom

I purchased some grunge myself but it did not seem to have the life that yours had Livebait. It caused a good nitrate spike and made my substrate look unsightly in my opinion. I just removed most of my grunge and kept shells and coralline rock for aquascaping. No experience using "Mud" here...

Wow that's not good. It's done nothing but good for my system. The only concern I have is the massive coralline bloom but other than that no complaints.

DaveK

More to the point, why do you want such a substrata in the display tank in the first place?

Yes, algae blooms are possible, but they can be controlled. It's more of a case of what do you expect to gain by doing something so different?

livebait

More to the point, why do you want such a substrata in the display tank in the first place?

Yes, algae blooms are possible, but they can be controlled. It's more of a case of what do you expect to gain by doing something so different?

I just want the best possible environment for macro's, the pods that'll live in them and the seahorses that will eat the pods. I didn't realize it was 'so different' and just wanted to read experiences from people I know have been in this hobby for a long time.

DaveK

Usually for pods you want a comparatively course sandbed, so they can hide in there. It will take time for it to become populated. Some people just place a small pile of very small live rock in the tank some place, for similar reasons. I could see why a handful or two of mud might help kick off the pod production.

Macro algae doesn't draw any nutrients from its "roots". They only exist to anchor the plant, so a mud base doesn't directly add anything, except a lot of nutrients to the water, as far as macro algae goes. Again, I'd just use a handful or two, unless I was going with a mud based refugium.

Keep in mind, with a refugium, you can easily remove the mud, if you find it to be an issue, and since a refugium is usually small compared to the display tank, there will be a lot less mud to contend with.

livebait

Usually for pods you want a comparatively course sandbed, so they can hide in there. It will take time for it to become populated. Some people just place a small pile of very small live rock in the tank some place, for similar reasons. I could see why a handful or two of mud might help kick off the pod production.

Macro algae doesn't draw any nutrients from its "roots". They only exist to anchor the plant, so a mud base doesn't directly add anything, except a lot of nutrients to the water, as far as macro algae goes. Again, I'd just use a handful or two, unless I was going with a mud based refugium.

Keep in mind, with a refugium, you can easily remove the mud, if you find it to be an issue, and since a refugium is usually small compared to the display tank, there will be a lot less mud to contend with.

Thank you DaveK. Finally an answer I can use.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Thank you DaveK. Finally an answer I can use.

I would add in for maximum macro fauna population you want a mixture of grain sizes in the substrate. Different species use different habitat, and when your whole world is a grain of sand; size does matter. So a mixture is best.

The reason I said mud=algae is I am having huge algae problems in my DT fro using live mud in the substrate. But i am growing plants which have roots (seagrasses and mangroves) and have nutrient uptake through the roots. But I am having huge algae issues, and so is my buddy with a similar setup.

Will get past it eventually but in the meantime I have had it with mud lol.

livebait

I would add in for maximum macro fauna population you want a mixture of grain sizes in the substrate. Different species use different habitat, and when your whole world is a grain of sand; size does matter. So a mixture is best.

The reason I said mud=algae is I am having huge algae problems in my DT fro using live mud in the substrate. But i am growing plants which have roots (seagrasses and mangroves) and have nutrient uptake through the roots. But I am having huge algae issues, and so is my buddy with a similar setup.

Will get past it eventually but in the meantime I have had it with mud lol.

ty Dean and thanks to everyone..all 3 of you that helped me out with my decision.. BIG AL DAVE K and CF. It's very much appreciated and with the info you gave I was able to google up negative reviews easier. thnx again.