MP10 Versus MP10 with EcoSMART Driver

Shamus

Hey everyone -

OK, now that the price has come down a little bit on the MP10 with the introduction of the new EcoSMART driver and with a bit of leftover B-day money to spend...I'm considering my next purchase. I've been wanting an MP10 for a while now...so it's really only a matter of time and research right now...

I'm wondering if the EcoSMART driver is really all that necessary for someone who will only have one MP10 pump in the system. But I can also see an argument for getting the pump with the EcoSMART driver for potential future upgrades (larger tank, more pumps in that tank, etc.). Now this would be WELL off in the future.

I'm curious to hear from people, especially with the new driver, whether there is a huge difference between the two models if you only have one pump in your system. I'd also really be interested in hearing from people who may have upgraded their MP10 (or even MP40 for that matter) to the new EcoSMART driver and whether there is a considerable difference.

I appreciate all the input!!!

dmyers557

I think you covered most of it. Another nice thing with the new driver is that its wireless and has a couple new modes. To tell you the truth, I have the older mp10 and could care less for any of the new features. I only use short pulse and get the most amazing wave action ever!!!! If you can afford the new one, GET IT. If not, you will be more than happy with the older model.

redsea reefer

To get the most out of the new model MP10, you will need 2. If you are only using 1, then the old one will be just as good. I am happy with the old one and will not be upgrading..

fruit bat

Having taken delivery of an MP40w-ES only a couple of days ago I would suggest that you save some money and get the basic model. The EcoSmart model is good, but i reckon it will only be worth the extra £ if you are considering adding more powerheads at a later date.

get the base model and buy some more corals with the money that you have saved

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
As Eddie and others have said, the wireless feature (it was on older Vortech MP40s) only applies if you have 2 or more Vortechs, and it's sole purpose is to control more than one Vortech. With only 1 it's a useless feature. The other upgraded features of the new Ecosmart driver are nice though, and even with only one pump I'm getting the new driver upgrade.

I have just bought an MP10 es and fully agree with all the posters above, however mine cost only a few pounds more than the standard one so I would have bought it in any case. It may well be worth looking at the price difference. I only use one setting but a great bit of kit.

Paul.

Shamus

Thanks for all the information and opinions everyone!

I was able to find the upgraded version for only $35 more than the basic model so I figured I'd just go ahead and get the upgrade. I figure that way I get the new features and have the option to use it in future tanks with multiple Vortechs. Can't wait!!!

Shamus

TB Aquatics was running a sale plus free shipping. I only had to pay for insurance.

Last edited:

fruit bat

I'm getting more comfortable with the MP40w-ES now having played with it for a few days. I'm loving the lagoon setting, it is certainly my favourire although reef crest is a close second.
It took a few days to find the right position in the tank, but i think I am happy now

I'm getting more comfortable with the MP40w-ES now having played with it for a few days. I'm loving the lagoon setting, it is certainly my favourire although reef crest is a close second.
It took a few days to find the right position in the tank, but i think I am happy now

How many Vortechs are you running? Just one or multiple?

Shamus

Good news on the new driver - seems like it may be nice to have even with one pump, even if you can't take full advantage of some of the different modes.

Question for all you Vortech experts running in the 130/130D - are you still running both stock pumps as well or have you turned one off?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You'll always have to run at least one stock pump or there will be no flow through the back compartment. If you have media back there, and a heater, they will be useless with no flow through it. I still run 2 pumps, even with an MP20 - no media back there for me, but that water would get very stagnant otherwise.

Shamus

Thanks Terry - that sounds reasonable. I figured I would have to run at least one but wasn't sure about running both. I guess I'll plan on continuing to run both and playing around with the flow.