Moving Fish

DrHank

Make sure that you use your nose on that sand when you arrive. The slightest hint of rotten egg odor signals Hydrogen sulfide gas which is highly toxic in very small amounts. If you don't smell any you should be good to go. If you think that you do smell it, I would add salt water to cover by an inch in the tank and stir the entire sand bed. It will kill any anaerobic bacteria and dissipate the hydrogen sulfide gas.

Good luck, I don't envy you this move.

wigo

I saw your thread on the swallowtail. We have one too. Sorry to hear about her. I hope the same does not happen on this move.

wigo

Well the move went well. It was a long night, day, night. Almost a full 24 hour process. We went to HD and got locking top heavy duty containers for tools and such. About 10$ a piece, we got 4. We put the fish in each container with about 5-10 gallons of water. Put the LR in the cooler with enough water to cover all the rock. We got battery powered air pumps(2) with a T in each line to make 4 total air hoses. and drove.

All the fish made it and all went well. Everything is going well with the tank. Thank you everyone for the help.

BTW the swallowTail jumped out on her own yesterday. I was very upset. All the movement and travel and once we were settled she flew the coupe. At least she did not die on the trip.

wigo

I was very tired. We are recovering now and the tanks are doing well. The bad part is I have to wait a while now to upgrade the tank.

The good part is I have a basement now and plan on expanding my tank collection.

Overall the process was tiring but it was not as bad as I thought. I almost lost the mandrin but God breathed life back into him I am convinced.

Thanks again for the help.