Movable Light Rack for 450 Display

gimmito

I'm sorta in a quandry regarding a light rack for my 450 L shape display. The shape of the tank makes it hard to just use a unistrut and just attach a aluminum light rack to and slide it into the garage b/c of fire rated doors. I've thought of using 2 separate heavy duty drawer guides (1 front/1 back) that extend from 2' to 6' also.

Here's some pics:

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Any thoughts ?

jpsika08

Jim, do you have a pic of the tank from above? Just to understand better the problem/solution :)

gimmito

Juan,

Are these better shots ?

photo-147.jpg

photo-145.jpg

The front opening measurements are 65x24 and the back is 54x24. I still think the best option at this point is 2 separate light racks made by EZBolt. I just have to find the hardware (detachable triple extension drawer guides/hanging kit). ;)

I think 2 separate racks is the way to go i have my light rack on a winch system got the winch for 60 bucks battery about the same it works great if i need to get access at the tank just hit the switch and up goes the lights also makes it easy to change your bulbs

jpsika08

Jim, you do have some challenge here :)

Thanks, those pictures help understand better, couple of questions,
1. The tank as shown above and reviewing the dimensions it has a total of 48" depth, but divided by a wall on the middle?
2. Maybe the top wodden structure above the tank on the 65" side can be removed and place the slides directly to the ceiling so you can move the front light rack from left to right?
3. Two racks here are a must, and as I see it, the front rack has to handle three reflectors and the rear side two.

Those slides are really nice, the 250 ones are the best option, as I guess you plan on putting these from left to right so you can slide the rack sideways?

What do you think?

gimmito

I think 2 separate racks is the way to go i have my light rack on a winch system got the winch for 60 bucks battery about the same it works great if i need to get access at the tank just hit the switch and up goes the lights also makes it easy to change your bulbs

Sounds cool..any pics ?

gimmito

Jim, you do have some challenge here :)

Thanks, those pictures help understand better, couple of questions,
1. The tank as shown above and reviewing the dimensions it has a total of 48" depth, but divided by a wall on the middle?
2. Maybe the top wodden structure above the tank on the 65" side can be removed and place the slides directly to the ceiling so you can move the front light rack from left to right?
3. Two racks here are a must, and as I see it, the front rack has to handle three reflectors and the rear side two.

Those slides are really nice, the 250 ones are the best option, as I guess you plan on putting these from left to right so you can slide the rack sideways?

What do you think?

Juan,

1. I can't take out that particular header. Although, I was able to remove a rather large 2x6 header that was not needed.

2. The rack(s) would have to be pulled front to back or visa versa.

3. You are correct that I would need 3 reflectors in the front and 2 in the back if the reflectors are 10"-12" off the water. Although I see Melev of Reef Addicts got away with using less reflectors by going 18"-20" off the water. I'm not sure how much PAR I would be losing without a meter.

The 250 does look like a viable choice, I'll call them this week to see what the damage would be. I've been thinking that I might get away with a L-shaped frame that slides all the way into the living room though. I could order 2 48" slides that extends a total of 8' into the living room. What do you think ? Again, I'll have to see the cost difference. Of course now I have to think about ballasts placement...it never ends. Are you using Google Sketch for your drawings by the way ?

Thanks again for the input !

Last edited:
wish i could send pics i have tried many times the way i was told to do it on here useing photo bucket and cant seen to get it to work sorry

jpsika08

Jim,
I think what you mentioned above going 8' into the living room would be better, but I'm thinking you can divide the rack into two pieces, the front and back, so you don't have to move the complete setup just for schedule maintenance.

The software I'm using is 3D Studio Max 9 from Autodesk.

gimmito

Juan,

How would you separate the two racks and connect them ? So far I've only found full extensions slides that go 1" beyond .(example 24" will go 25"). Stainless steel is pretty expensive at the 4'-5' range, but one manufactuer suggested getting a zinc plated slide and paint it with graphite. I haven't heard back from that one site I found. They seem to have a stainless steel that could handle any length needed (although I bet it will cost a pretty penny).

Thanks for the info on 3D Studio Max 9 from Autodesk. I need to draw up the light rack for EZbolt before ordering.

gimmito

wish i could send pics i have tried many times the way i was told to do it on here useing photo bucket and cant seen to get it to work sorry

No worries... what part are you having trouble with ? Once you upload your photo onto Photobucket, resize it to medium or large, edit if necesarry, copy the img code, and paste it in your replies.

Hope that helps and thanks for the advice.

jpsika08

Jim, sorry, I took the liberty in doing some renders as a possible solution, you are the only one who can see if it works for you or not,

This render you can see two different racks, the larger one holding 3 reflectors would be (I think) the one at the living room, Rack A, and the one that is behind the tank, with only two reflectors, RackB:
Render01-3.jpg

Both racks suspended by the two heavy duty 96" (8 Feet) Slides, which go from the back room to the living room:
Rack A can be moved separately from RackB, only to attend front part of the tank:
Render02-2.jpg

And RackB can be moved to the back Room or to the front if needed:
Render03.jpg

Here the two Racks moved apart for complete maintenance to the tank:
Render04-3.jpg

Here other render of the tank showing the 5, 16"x16" reflectors:
Render05-2.jpg

Hope this helps you on deciding how to go with the design, also, the big tubes (4) you see inside the racks are, 2 48" VHO lights and on RackA, 2 60" VHO lamps), I was thinking that the Ballasts can even go on top of the racks each over it's reflector or maybe on a side hanging away from the tank as the cables for these are pretty long.

jpsika08

Sorry, just in conclusion, I think it would be easier to build two racks as shown above, not need to build one big one which moving can be more of a pain.

Forgot to put some dimensions for you:

The racks are made by 1" Aluminums.
Rack A is 65" x 24" x 6" can hold 3, 16" x 16" Reflector.
Rack B is 48" x 24" x 6" can hold 2, 16" x 16" Reflector.

gimmito

Wow !...thanks for taking the time to make those renderings for me Juan. Two racks are a great idea if I didn't have cabinet doors in the front and fire rated doors in the back. This prevents me from having a 8' rail to simply slide the 2 racks front or back. On a positive note, I talked to Todd at George Barnes Engineering and they can frabricate basically anything I need. I'm thinking of having them make a 5' heavy duty full extension slide that will mount on the 2x's in the front/middle/back of the top. This way I can pull the whole fixture a 5' into the living room for uninstuctive maintanence in the tank !
Of course custom fabrication=pricey, so for a zinc plated slides it will run about $450 and stainless steel will run a $100 bucks more. Any thoughts ?

Also, could I trouble you to render a one piece L-shaped light rack ? I could use it to send it to EZbolt...Muchisama mas gracias Hermano !

Last edited:

jpsika08

Jim, no problem :)

Just need some exact measures, the above rack was made, front 65" x 24" the rear rack has 48" x 24" but I think the rear is 54"?
Also, which size of reflectors and T5's are you planning to use? (HO or VHO?)

You want a once piece light rack for the complete tank?

Just give me this and I will work on it pretty quickly.

gimmito

Juan,

Correct, one piece light rack. The front tank opening is 65"x24" and the rear tank opening is 53"x24" (just to play it safe). The Lumenmax Elite reflectors are 14 3/4" x 14 3/4". I'm leaning towards the Reefbrites for atinics, but will wait on them since technology changes so rapidly with LED'S.

Any thought on going zinc + painting the slides w/graphite or going stainless steel ?

Thanks,

Jim

jpsika08

No problem, one light rack coming up... :D

Maybe it's cheaper and tougher to have stainless steel + rust protective paint?

jpsika08

Ok, here it is, one recently out of the oven L Shaped light rack LOL, we can change any of this so the guys at EZ-Tubes can build it for you in the most efficient manner:

Aluminum tubes are 1" thick which is more than enough to hold the weight and maintain it's shape.

First Top and Bottom view of the rack:

TOP VIEW: Here with General Specs:
Render05-Top.jpg

BOTTOM VIEW:
Render06-Bottom.jpg

Now ASSEMBLY in perspective view:

Lower Section of the rack:
Render01-Base.jpg

Middle supports, Each of these have 4" height, the Rack total height is 6":
Render02-MiddleSupports.jpg

And the Upper section for complete buildup:
Render03-Complete.jpg

Completed build up with Reflectors in place:
Render04-CompReflector.jpg

And some additional views:
Render07-Add1.jpg

Render08-Add2.jpg

Render09-Add3.jpg

And placed over the tank with real dimensions (Just don't have the tank's height):
Render10-Add4.jpg

The only thing that I didn't like about the whole thing is the middle section between the two parts of the rack, as you can see the end of the supports has different position.
Render11-Problem.jpg

What do you think?

tnwillia

I'd think the different position supports would add more strength to the frame. How would you mount it? Hang it from the ceiling with a electric lift system? Someone on here in Hong Kong (I think) showed an electric lift system a few months ago. Your design looks great Juan!