Most important pieces of reef equipment.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
A siphon break is good alternative to check valves, Bob didn't offer an alternative in the original post so I was a little put off, there is no full proof method but something is better than nothing at all.

All good advice, the above is a great example of why you can't ask us what equipment you need Exactly :) you will get 50 different answers and opinions.

We all have different methods and ideals as to how it should be done, the best part is we all think our way is the best way and it is for "us" :) this doesn't make it's the best way for you.

You have to research and take it all in then choose the methods that you think will work best for you.

BobBursek

Eric,
I agree, there is with most but not all things, can work for some and not the other person. There is though, somethings that are very black and white/ right or wrong, which can and I assume is very confusing at times for someone posting a question on somethings here and getting multiple answers, and then you through in the opinions, it is hard to know who and what info to trust.
I answered the same question someone posted on 4 different reef sites, the same way and called him/her on it, answer I got back was "I do not know who knows what so I am going with the general concensus!!"

BobBursek

One rule of thumb is your flow through your sump/fuge should equal what your skimmer pump is rated at. Not that all the water going through the S/f is going to go through your skimmer unless it was plumbed that way. The rest of the flow/circulation in the tank is then made up from PHs or/and a closed loop system.

niqiri

Thanks so much everyone. I was thinking of teeing the overflow so that it goes into separate sump and fuge chambers. These would then flow into a center return where my pump would pump the water back through the return hole in the overflow box. How necessary is an ATO? I feel like I'm a pretty good one already. My salinity on my old tank never went below 1.023 or above 1.024 but I don't know if you guys (or SPS) would consider this a large change.

BobBursek

I do not think it is that important unless you are out of town a lot. I have a Toms Aqua Lifter pump on a timer and pumps in about 1gal a day of MU mixed with Kalk over the course of the day for evap. Yes the timer could fail, never has. My mentor has an ATO with float switches and has to keep any salt creep off of them. In my 100 gal system which I keep at 1.025, a gallon or 2 does not hardly affect SG one way or the other. A gallon makes about a 1/4in difference in the water level in my s/f which is 4ftx1ft.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Splitting the drain is fine.

The ATO is personal preference, you can setup like Bob or just top it off manually on a regular basis.

ATO is a luxury, just another way to make life easier but not necessary. I like ato systems especially on a tank with halides, you can loose couple gallons of water in a days time.

DublD

........................... How necessary is an ATO? I feel like I'm a pretty good one already. My salinity on my old tank never went below 1.023 or above 1.024 but I don't know if you guys (or SPS) would consider this a large change.
LOL.........Not necessary but VERY convenient and consistent as are other automation devices for the reef. It is a cheap add on though and IMO beats the heck out of topping off water every day, let alone the issues if you head out of town for a few days. Your corals will appreciate the consistency. Take it or leave it...........Just my humble input :)

You can always start without it, but no doubt you will be adding one soon.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
As far as other equipment, I would get a refractometer for salinity. Skip those swing arm hydrometer pieces of junk.

You will need a good skimmer and good lights. For the lights you should have a good idea what photosynthetic cnidarians you want to keep; but for both buy quality and buy once. I have an SWC 160 Cone on my 90 and really like its ease of use, overall quality, and how quiet it is. Works very well

deb48647ca954dabaf1a16347036f2f8.jpg

For the price, $275, good bang for the buck

Also an RO/DI unit. If you invest in a refractometer, RO/DI, good lights and a skimmer, may dent your wallet initially, and be slower to stock, but good investments that will pay huge dividends down the road.