Most important pieces of reef equipment.

niqiri

I am wondering who can tell me EXACTLY everything I need in order to start a reef besides the 90 tank w/ overflow, sump/fuge, return pump, test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, copper, calcium, magnesium, pH monitor, salt mix, metal halide w/ T5 lights, base rock, couple pieces of live rock, quarantine tank, sand, really good protein skimmer, algae/mangroves for the fuge, plumbing parts (includes durso standpipe), powerheads galore, water change buckets.... What else would I need to keep all types of coral (including SPS) and to make the tank thrive. Thanks for your help.

niqiri

Will I need a kalkwasser stirrer or a calcium reactor? How do you supplement calcium and buffer pH?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Well if you want to have the ability to keep any corals, you will need...

1) 2x250w or 2x400w halides
2) Rodi unit
3) Salifert test kits cal, mag, ect
4) SWC skimmers are pretty good
5) DIY sump/fuge
6) Mag 18 return pump

That's some info and just my opinion, you really need to research and pick the equipment that suits your needs.

The best equipment is not going to make a successful tank, if it's not properly maintained and cared it will crash like any other tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Will I need a kalkwasser stirrer or a calcium reactor? How do you supplement calcium and buffer pH?

Those are "advanced" items and something you may or may NOT need. I've not needed either of those yet and my "dosing" is called Water Changes.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
A calcium reactor is not something you need right off the bat, the need for a calcium reactor, will depend on the type of corals and amount of calcium they use. This is something you can add down the road if you have trouble keeping your calcium levels up.

You have to learn what all this equipment does and how one thing effects the other before you just run out and buy a bunch of equipment.

niqiri

Well if you want to have the ability to keep any corals, you will need...

1) 2x250w or 2x400w halides
2) Rodi unit
3) Salifert test kits cal, mag, ect
4) SWC skimmers are pretty good
5) DIY sump/fuge
6) Mag 18 return pump

That's some info and just my opinion, you really need to research and pick the equipment that suits your needs.

The best equipment is not going to make a successful tank, if it's not properly maintained and cared it will crash like any other tank.

Will the Mag 18 return be too much flow for a 90 gallon with a single overflow? I read that the overflow can only handle around 600 gallons per hour. Should I opt for a 90 with dual overflows?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
No it'll be just right, after the plumbing and head loss.

You will want to put a check valve and ball valve inline.

kospaintball

The magazine 18 is to much pump for that tank IMHO. With that flow you will push the water tjrough your sump/fuge so fast that nothing beneficial could have occured. I would match up your overflow to a pump. Figure out how many vertical feet the water will be pushed up and check the ratings on the pump. For you I would guess a mag 6 or 7 at the most

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm running Mag18 with single Stand-Pipe. I've got it throttled back just a hint but not much. With head-height it's only pushing 1380GPH . My OF can handle something like 1250 (going from memory so no quoting).

BobBursek

You do not want a check valve of any sorts, it will stick or get plugged and not close off tight at some point in time. If you click on "more information" on this site it will give you Mag specs, and head flow at 4ft, they used to give you a curve to 12ft.
Mag Drive Pumps

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I set up two tanks recently, both were 90 gallons with trickle filters "I don't recommend trickle filters, it what they wanted" I used a 1600gph on one and a mag 18 on the other, both tanks are fine and not to much flow through the sump.

The flow through the sump is not a problem if you install baffles/bubble traps to stop the micro bubbles from returning to the tank.

A mag 6 would only give you 2-300gph to the tank and would not turn the tank over 5-6xs and hour.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
No check valve? What about a power outage or pump failure? If your returns are 6" into the DT they will back siphon all that water causing a flood.

Like any other piece of equipment you need a check valve with unions so you can remove and clean it from time to time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm running my 90g (sound like a broken record here) with NO check valves but I do have "Siphon Breaks" in the system and I "allow" for some back-flow in the sump.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Well you have to have something, the typical 20 gallon sump and a power outage is a recipe for a flood.

Obviously different setups with large sumps will allow more room for back flow and eliminate the need for a check valve but the typical setup needs something.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's always better safe than sorry but I try to not install check-valves because they only fail WHEN you need them LOL! I've never had one go bad when I didn't need it LOL!

I just plan for it and so far the only floods have been caused by the
human_element.gif

(Human Element)

DublD

Although there are different thoughts on how much flow through a fuge is good, I have to side with the mag 18 being a bit much for you. I use a mag 9.5 on my 90 for return and think it is just fine.
One additional item I didn't see listed was an auto top off unit. You want to keep your salinity as constant as possible :) . This is an inexpensive but invaluable addition to a reef tank.

BobBursek

Agree Big Al,
siphon breaks and a sump/fuge to handle it, when I shut down my return pump and my F/S is 8ft below my tank my S/F water levels goes up about 1in.
Most likely your over flow is rated for 600gph. I would see if you have a local reef club and join and get some real time advice, not that you will not get that here too, but also there is used stuff for sale. Trust the LFS the least since they want to sell you stuff.
1 snail by a check valve is all you need for a disaster, heck I had on in my over flow siphon break hole, I had to drill it out.