More Newbie Questions

TylerHaworth

I can't figure out how to delete the previous thread I have on the boards, but I have revised my plans so much in the past couple weekds/days or so that I feel the need to start over with my plans, and want as much input as I can get... It's impossible to hurt my feelings

First of all, I need opinions on my gear, yo. My plans for livestock: FOWLR

75 Gallon AGA Megaflow Pre-Drilled Display Tank (48x18x20)
20 or 29 Gallon Sump/Refugium Depending on space in cabinet
Quiet One 4000 Return Pump
Two Hydor Koralia #3 Powerheads
Azoo Titanium 300w heater
Marineland Marine Pro 100 Protein Skimmer
Coralife Aqualights + Lunar Lights
75 Pounds of sand in DT and 1" sandbed in Fuge
50 Pounds of Live Rock in Display Tank and a few chunks in Fuge

Livestock Next.....

Royal Gramma
Oscellaris Clown
Purple Firefish
Yellow Tang
Bicolor Angelfish
Cleanup Crew (no crabs... crabs are bad... in or out of the water, Blood Red Shrimp is a must though!)

Evaluate Please, and guide me on the path of righteousness, fellow reefers.

Luukosian

Sounds pretty good, doesnt sound like you are overstocked or anything. I think that amount of rock will probably be fine with the bioload you are going to have in that tank especially since its fish only. Some might argue the yellow tang but I think you will be fine as long as its got plenty of room to swim around.

Not sure how aggressive those angels are, I've never had one.

chuck116

Hello, my opinion would be to look down the road at the fact that your interests in the stocking of your tank may change. try to get as much flow as you can so you dont have to up grade your pump if you decide to go with some corals later on. Also get the best skimmer you can afford, even if its overkill for your current application. again just my 2 cents I am still new to this whole hobby. GOOD LUCK!

ReefLady

Staff member
I think your plans look pretty solid. The only recommendation I would have is to add the least aggressive fish first, the most aggressive last.
Other than that, just take it slow, don't cycle with fish, make sure you tank is completely cycled and stable before adding livestock.

Welcome!

lcstorc

I'm not familiar with that skimmer so I don't know if it is good or bad. Personally, I use ASM G series skimmers so you may want to check that out.
Why the 1 inch sandbed in the fuge? Usually a SSB is there just for appearances. Unless this is a display fuge then I would go with either bare bottom or DSB in the fuge.
Stocking list sounds great if you are not going with a reef. The only fish on the list that would concern me for a reef is the angel and some get away with that.
I'm no good with plumbing and pumps and stuff, so no idea there.

Ok here goes!!!!! First complaint.... WooHoo! No Green Mandarin? Wheres the Green at? LoL:dance: No honestly your plan seems sound enough should have a strong start.

ReefLady

Staff member
We won't complain unless you rush things, or buy things without researching first. :)

TylerHaworth

Green Mandarin... They seem a bit more intricate to take care of... I'm too big of a noob to take one on right now... maybe later/space permitting

Rushing... No, won't happen... That's why I'm here asking questions for a tank that won't be wet until the second week of May at the earliest!

I'm feeling pretty confident in my research thus far, my livestock plans seem fairly hardy and easy to maintain/feed/make happy, and also being minimally aggressive.

My fuge won't be for display, purely function... So... Should I go with a more shallow sand bed... if so... how shallow?

TylerHaworth

Also... can anyone give me a ROUGH ROUGH estimate of how much water will be displaced per pound of rock? I understand some will displace more per pound than others but... general... horribly rough estimation?

Also, about how much water will be displaced by the 75'ish pounds of sand?

Are you talking about the sb in the show tank or the refug? If your talking about the main tank I wouldn't go any shallower than 2 inches. I have a 4 inch sb ( I like the deep sand bed ) In the fefug I would use ocean mud. Or finely crushed coral/aragonite ( 50-50 ).
If I can be of any help just pm me. Good to do a lot of research.

Patrick

Also... can anyone give me a ROUGH ROUGH estimate of how much water will be displaced per pound of rock? I understand some will displace more per pound than others but... general... horribly rough estimation?

Also, about how much water will be displaced by the 75'ish pounds of sand?

How big of a tank?

TylerHaworth

How big of a tank?

A pound of sand/rock is going to displace the same amount of water regardless of whether it is in a 1 gallon or 1000 gallon tank, the only variable would be the density/porosity of the rock/sand...

Again, I'm just trying to get a general, VERY ROUGH feel of the total volume of water that will be in the system

TylerHaworth

Are you talking about the sb in the show tank or the refug? If your talking about the main tank I wouldn't go any shallower than 2 inches. I have a 4 inch sb ( I like the deep sand bed ) In the fefug I would use ocean mud. Or finely crushed coral/aragonite ( 50-50 ).
If I can be of any help just pm me. Good to do a lot of research.

Patrick

I was talking about the SB in the fuge for depth, and since you are suggesting ocean mud or CC/Aragonite for the substrate in the fuge... would you recommend a product similar to Miracle Mud... and... filled to what depth?

The sand bed for the DT will be determined by using the generalization of 1 pound per gallon to start and, if I don't like it when I dump it is in place, I'll go back to the LFS and adjust accordingly... or at least I had planned... should I use a higher starting point than 1 pound/gallon in a standard size rectangular tank... or would it be purely personal preference?

jjohnson3

The only thing that I have a concern on is the Bicolor Angelfish. I tried one and it died. The reason it died is because they feed excluively on sponge or at least thats what I have read. You might can try feeding it a frozen food that has sponge in it. Or you can buy a live sponge. Or just pick another Angelfish. Your Choice. I just wanted to give you heads up on that Angel. Looks like you will have a nice, active tank!

TylerHaworth

The only thing that I have a concern on is the Bicolor Angelfish. I tried one and it died. The reason it died is because they feed excluively on sponge or at least thats what I have read. You might can try feeding it a frozen food that has sponge in it. Or you can buy a live sponge. Or just pick another Angelfish. Your Choice. I just wanted to give you heads up on that Angel. Looks like you will have a nice, active tank!

Thank you sir!

Suggestions on a blue fish? Perhaps Blue Reef Chromis?

TylerHaworth

Very good option. Buy a group of 6 or more.

Oh my, I was estimating 2-3... Six would probably be too straining of a bioload with the other fish I have planned, and although they are gorgeous fish... I need more variety than six of the same fish...

What about Blue Gudgeon Dartfish? Would that guy fuss and fight with the Purple Firefish I have my eye on?

Or what about a Sunrise Dottyback? They are a nice blue fish that seem to have a fairly good personality

Last edited:

TylerHaworth

Comments on A Sunrise Dottyback, or a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish?

Also still trying to get a disgustingly rough estimate of how much water will be displaced with 75 pounds of sand and 50 pounds of rock?