More important: Water or Live Rock?

chunky

Hi all. I've been lurking on the site for a while and wanted to first thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge I've picked up from here. It's really made things much easier for me.

Now that thank you's are out of the way, I was wondering which is more important to have, more water in the tank or more live rock. I have a 39 gal (before all the rock and equipment) tank with about 55 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand throughout. I noticed that I still have room in the fuge for a few small rocks but I was wondering if it really would be more benificial to replace the water with more rock. I should mention that I'm not having any problems with too much bioload or anything like that. Just curious. So what do you guys think?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
From my estimations.... if everything is going good now I would vote for H2O volume. You're right on the money for lbs/gallon of LR so I'd opt for more water. Remember...

Dilution is the solution to pollution!

chunky

Sweet deal. That's what I was leaning towards also. I'm pretty lazy so anytime the advice is "do nothing", I can handle it! Thanks for the quick replies.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome! My apology.. I didn't even realize that was post #1 !! Where are my manners! oh yeah.. I don't have any!! :lol:

Welcome and Enjoy the REEF!!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Welcome Chunky! Happy to have you aboard. There was a time when the thinking was fill the tank with LR for best results. Unfortunately, this leads to many problems like detritus build up, difficulty in maintenance, lack of water volume and lack of swimming space for fish, which means less fish. You've got an adequate amount of rock to get you started. You can always add more later if you get a bigger sump. All the best!

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Sounds like you have plenty of LR. I would move some of the LR to the fuge and open up the display for more swimming room.

rmlevasseur

I think this question depends on how heavily you stock. If you are getting zero readings than you have enough LR to do the job. With that said, I am in the camp that prefers more LR. I just think it adds extra stability to the tank that can't be beat.