Morbius18's New 90 Reef

Ratpack

I think you are right on your cycle. If your sand was exposed for a week,then you probably had quite a bit of die off and that is now getting processed. Shouldn't take but a day ot two if you LR is cured.

Mya

Mine only looks tidy because I havent put everything back under there that belongs under there and honestly. Im avoiding it. I been looking everywhere fro another shelf to put all my fish stuff in to try and keep it away from under the tank.

morbius18

Pictrure of the ESHOPPS RS-100 sump that came in the mail today. Hopefully tonight I will get the old one out of the sump and the new one in, and finalize the plumbing. The old sump is 30 inches long and cannot come out of the stand, so I will probably cut a notch to allow it to fit around the center door brace or end up breaking it apart. Not fun or easy.
sump5.jpg

morbius18

And here is a picture of the tank under the temporary daylight lighting. It is 65 watt 50/50 PC and 48 Watts Actinic T-5. I also tested ammonia, and it is approximately .25 ppm, when it gets lower the MH lighting gets moved over with the SPS corals.
Tank71.jpg

morbius18

Getting the old sump out was a PITA. I tried to get it out, turned it, even started to cut a notch to get it around the center door brace. Eventually a hammer helped me along. I got the new one in, the skimmer set up, heater added and fixed the drain to accomidate the flexible hose instead of the PVC that was on it. In order to get the threaded fitting off of the bulkhead, I had to drill holes in the pvc so that I could fit a screwdriver into the holes to turn it off the bulkhead. It was too crowded and in the corner, so no tools.
I also hooked up the ATO unit and a 5 gallon bin until I can get something with a lid.
Tank81.jpg

Mya

Haha. You took a hammer to your old sump. How funny.
The new one looks damn nice I must say. Very pro.

See now that you got your new pieces in there... Its looking pretty tidy under there.

morbius18

Yeah, after 30 minutes of tetris trying to get it out of there, I started using a saw to cut a notch to allow it to kinda rotate around the center brace, but that was tanking WAYYYYY to long, so out come the hammer. 2 Hits and I shattered a nice piece off, allowing it to come out. I think that it was built or the back of the stand was off when the sump was placed in it.

Mya

Ya, I couldnt get anything in or out from under my old 55. That was part of the reason it had to go. I couldnt even get a 10g tank under there. I not only had a dividing brace but a whole dividing wall between the 2 halves of the tank.
The 90 was built to have big wide opening with no front brace for a reason. I never want to do the tetris getting things in and out from under my tank again.

morbius18

I probably will eventually build a new stand for this, but not until I get out of the army and actually move back home. I get out this november if I don't get stop lossed or anything.

Mya

Oh, you're at Ft. Lewis. Whats ur MOS? Are you guys slotted to go back to Iraq?
Also, where's home?

HAHA! Morb, I pm'ed Michael asking him about ur MOS on accident. Haha. Awesome.
Sry Michael.

Last edited:

morbius18

I'm an 11B, infantry. I work in the training room, so I'm basically a glorified secretary for our commander and First Sergeant. No Iraq til 2010, but there are rumors about afghanistan somewhere around the time that I get out.

Mya

You're infantry so ya, your outlook for Afgha is pretty good. Which is really bad. Get out before then if you can.

morbius18

Picture of tank with Actinic that comes on at 7 AM and goes off at 9 PM
Lights-Actinic.jpg

Picture of tank with Actinic and 50/50 PC that comes on at 8 AM and goes off at 8 PM
Lights-PC.jpg

Picture of tank with Actinic and 50/50 PC and MH Lighting that comes on at 9 AM and goes off at 7 PM
Lights-MH.jpg

Mya

I run my blues about 8 hrs.. all lights about 4 and the LEDs run all the time. Hmm.
Its like blues noon to 8pm all 2pm to 6pm like that..

morbius18

I could probably cut back, make the actinic 9 hrs, PC 8 and MH 7. I just know that most sun along the equator is like 12 hours and 7 minutes every day. I try to get about that amount. I guess that it depends on coral type too.

Mya

Ya, I wouldnt model ur light schedule after mine. I'm just kinda winging it...

Don't.. "follow me" ... Mr. Infantry...