Moorish Idol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Such a pretty fish Anthony. Thanks for sharing the video. Don't' see them very often at LFS (which is a good thing IMHO) ... at least not around here. We do have one local reefer who has one that's several years old now. It takes a lot of work and the perfect set-up for long term success with them. Unfortunately the success rate with them is extremely low.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Did anyone else notice the Ribbon Moray in the tank at the end of the video? I hope that they were special ordered by someone VERY experienced with a perfect setup...

Beautiful fishes in that tank though! :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's a BEAUTIFUL Eel and I missed it the first time LOL!
Ribbon eel

It's SO cool how this eel not only changes COLOR but it's sex as it matures. Starts off black with yellow dorsal fin. As it gets older the black becomes a very bright blue with a yellow snout and lower jaw (Male color change). Once it gets older (appx 3 1/2' - 4') the male now becomes yellow and transforms into a functional female (eggs and all).

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yeah, definitely a black ribbon eel... Very low survival rates from what I've read.
Rhinomuraena_quaesita_1.jpg

(Not my picture)

Oh! I got thread jumped! Any who, I didn't know that they were the same species; I thought that they were separate! Very cool. Thanks!

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I didn't know this bit of information (very sad news indeed)

Rhinomuraena quaesita

In the aquarium

Because most ribbon eels do not live longer than a month in captivity, some feel that this species should never be purchased. Ribbon eels have been observed in nearly every case to stop eating after being captured, although there are reports of them surviving and eating in captivity for 2 years or more.[citation needed]
With proper sized tanks, water flow, and depth of proper sand they can be kept for much longer in pairs.