Modding my hood for LEDs

GregT

OK, I have 180 watts of Royal Blues and Cool White 3w Crees. These arrived as 1 unit of 4 LED modules and two drivers, one for each colour.

I have an additional two LED modules and plan to use one on my 30 litre tank and the other I'm wondering if I connect it in series with the other 4 modules, will the unit still work? Looking at the available space in the RSM lens cover there's room.
Will the total 180 watts available just be lowered on average through each?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GregT

Also adding a sump with a Bubble Magnus Curve 5, and a LifeReef Overflow. Anyone have any ideas on the return pump I require?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I used a Mag Drive 7 (70 watts) for a while and it works great. I put a ball valve on the return to so I could control the flow up to the DT. The only problem I had is the Mag Drives run pretty hot and I didn't like that.

Now I use a SpeedWave DC-3000 Water Pump 790gph (25 watts) and I like it much better!

GregT

I used a Mag Drive 7 (70 watts) for a while and it works great. I put a ball valve on the return to so I could control the flow up to the DT. The only problem I had is the Mag Drives run pretty hot and I didn't like that.

Now I use a SpeedWave DC-3000 Water Pump 790gph (25 watts) and I like it much better!

Thanks Greg,
I like the idea of less watts and less heat. (Main reason for moving to LEDs is to limit the heat)
I've got the LifeReef overflow already, the skimmer is on order and need to build the sump in the left side of my cabinet only and source the pump.

Never enough hours in the day, I'm waiting on a weekend I can pull my hood apart and install the LEDs.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You know, it's been so long since I removed it, I have no idea what it sounded like before. Sorry