Mistakes You've Made

BobBursek

Not knowing about these forums, to get info by hands on aquariest, instead of the LFS stupid and or ignorent, or self serving person.

$ wasted purchasing things on advice from lfs before researching it. This includes the period of time I bought R/O water from a now-defunct lfs without noticing that it smelled just like the store, whose tanks invariable had patches of cyano. So I wondered why my tank had patches of cyano.

GrendelPrime

the 1 that stands out for me was when i was filling my water storage can with my python..decided i would play world or warcraft for a few min..2 hrs later my wife came home and made up a number of curse words at the top of her lungs

Jewells

Wow, these are some really great stories! I am still new to the SW, about 2 1/2 months so nothing major. I usually buy one gallon jugs of distilled water since I have a 12g and just dump a little out and add salt to the jug. I figured I would get a glass of water before I added salt to one jug. Yeah, you guessed it, picked the wrong jug, got a nice big gulp of iced salt water....first time I have ever spit water all over the place. :D

Wolfgang8810

Wow, these are some really great stories! I am still new to the SW, about 2 1/2 months so nothing major. I usually buy one gallon jugs of distilled water since I have a 12g and just dump a little out and add salt to the jug. I figured I would get a glass of water before I added salt to one jug. Yeah, you guessed it, picked the wrong jug, got a nice big gulp of iced salt water....first time I have ever spit water all over the place. :D
Dont be adding saltwater to top off your tank. Unless you are doing 1 gallon water changes there is no need to add salt for top offs.

yungreefer2410

yeah add distilled fresh water for top offs, check your salinty just to be sure its staying the same and in the correct "zone"

ddinox64

I'm along the lines of Grendel. Always seems when drip acclimating. Because it takes sooo long. I go off and do something else. No major flooding yet but some scary panics. I now place bins under containers.

Jewells

LMAO it is a 12g tank I buy GALLON jugs distilled water for water CHANGES premixed sitting on my fridge. The thread is for funny stories, btw my salinity lessens as the water evaps.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
btw my salinity lessens as the water evaps.

Jewells, we need to look into this because it's chemically impossible for that to happen.

Pure Water for top-offs

Salt Water for water changes (for every gallon you physically remove AT that time you replace with a gallon of MIXED salt water).

If you're seriously seeing your SG climb during EVAP we need to look and see where the error is. During EVAP only water leaves the tank and this increases the salt concentration in the remaining water making your salinity creep up and up and up.....

David Shaw

1) Not dipping my new live rock to flush bristle worms when i initially set up the tank. Took me ages to finally get rid of them all.

2) Numerous wet sock adventures, too many to mantion

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
David they're in your tank watching you right now! You can run but you can't HIDE from the Bristle Worms!!!

bm86

haha having a snail in my sump with the protien skimmer needless to say he crawled up in the tube and blocked it water everywhere then i tried to put some netting over the end of the tube well after a little while water everywhere again so no more snails in the sump or crabs either

xspeedrj

Mistakes...

Tons.

Relying on old hydrometers, instead of refractometers...mistake. Using well water at others suggestion....huge mistake. Not buying a RO/DI....huge mistake. Buying Turbo snails and finding out they are cold water...mistake. Adding unknown rock types to saltwater aquarium....mistake. Reusing old equipment (eg ancient protein skimmer pumps).....mistake. OMG....need a drink to make myself feel better!

:flower:

JulesVane

I put a "Baby" Volitan Lionfish in my tank...so cute! It's eaten 2 Purple Firefish and a Cleaner Shrimp so far. Can't catch the "Cutie" in a net! Big mistake!

DesertOrchid

Probably a mistake agreeing to buy the livestock and rock from a man in a nearby town only to find out he is selling some of it underhandedly before I can pick it up on Sunday. What some people will do for a dollar!

catran

1. Flooded my kitchen about 6 times making R/O water.
2. Spilled a bottle of pink/red dyed food, (I think it was microvert) on the carpet!
3. At first I made the "top off with saltwater" mistake, until someone here stopped me.
4. Didn't notice one of my corals fell behind the rock and almost killed it. It just recovered....
5. Knocked the pump off of my chiller line and didn't notice it for 2 days when chiller said the temp was 73 degrees....freaked out until I figured out what happened.
Well, that's enough (I'm tired of typing) LOL!!