Miracle Mud

adamsfour

Just received 5lb of Miracle mud and getting ready to add it to my Refugium. Looking for opinion on the product. My research indicates it does wonders but I am sure there are pro's and con's. I am also interest in know if anyone who uses it has turn off their skimmer. My intention is to place about two inches in my Refugium and leave everything else running including the skimmer. Thanks all for the help.

DaveK

Miracle Mud is an extremely controversial product. The seller claims that it does wonders for a reef system, and you don't need a skimmer, and you don't need to do water changes. Others claim the product is nothing but expensive mud and does little for a reef.

Personally, while I have not use that specific product, I have used other mud type products in a refugium. I found them to be a minus to my reef system, and got an increase in nitrates. To be fair, this could have been due to the quality of the mud products.

The bottom line is that I recommend that you don't use the product at all. This goes double if you have a reef system that currently has no serious problems. Others may feel differently.

Kongor

I tried to and it didn't hurt anything, I haven't seen a difference unless I stir up the mud in the fuge and it starts going into the water column into my DT. The polys on my SPS seem to open up more, but that might be just me. I do have a little hair algae now but I think its because I got a little loose with zooplankton and reef energy a&b. My plants in the fuge seem to love it however, strong roots and fast.

Tradewinds

I had it in my sump when I first started the tank, but could never find any discernible benefit to it and took it out several months later.

Kongor

Update on the mud...

I believe its basically useless. The only thing I've noticed over the 2 month period of my last post is my water was cloudier (have a PH in my fuge) and this mud makes ALL my filter socks/pads useless... My socks would clog with brown in about a 2 day span. Also my mp-40 and mp-10 would get a brown dusting over them which never happened before I added the mud.

Needless to say I am taking it out tomorrow and adding 10ish lbs of sand.