Minimum lighting needed for Anemone

newsalt

Please look at my photo gallery pictures. As you can see from the picture of the tank front, it seems empty. I like my LR and it looks great, but the tank as a whole is missing something. I'd like to have an Anemone or something like that to add some interest. I've read that the Bubble Tip and Rose Anemone are a bit hardier than other types.

The current lighting is a single 15w 50/50 bulb. The salesman at my local Petco told me that that would be ok for an Anemone. I didn't believe him. He told me that the Anemone would move it's way up the LR to get more lighting. Is that true? Anyway, after looking at my pictures in my photo gallery, can I get some recommendations?

Thanks.

mwrager

Do not believe Petco. You do need more light than that. Now for some questions. How big is your tank, dimensions and gal? But for a general idea of how much light you need I would go with about 4 watts per gal. Let us know what you have in your tank and your set up and we can help you. I wrote this and then seen you have posted what you have and the type of tank you have.

mwrager

For lighting I would put in a single 150 watt MH 10 k, if you think that is too much light, then look at adding 2 PC 55 watt each. 1- 55 watt PC 10K and 1-55 Atinic bulb.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I beleive the 15 gal. high is only 20" tho, so the 55w will be too long. What you can do tho, is get 3- 36 w PC bulbs, 1 actinic, 1 10k wite, and 1 50/50, or whatever "blueness" pleases you. Like mwrager said, tho, I would recomend the MH, you can even find them in wattages as low as 70, but they are harder to find.

newsalt

2 PC 55 watt each. 1- 55 watt PC 10K and 1-55 Atinic bulb

Do I need a new "housing" for thos lights you mention? Right now I have the traditional "aquarium hood" typically seen on Freshwater tanks. The one with the flip open lid. I'm sure those 55 watt bulbs don't come in 18" lengths. The hood I have now has a clear plastic (i don't think it's glass) panel that protects the lights from the water. I'm guessing that the two 55 watt bulbs could melt or damage that panel. Are there and PC retrofit kits for my size hood? The tank is 15g high (20"x10"x18").

fidojoe

Fish Addict
The 2 x 36watt retro kit here http://ahsupply.com would work nicely on this tank, and like I said, they 55w bulbs are 21" so they won't fit. Another option is a 96 watt powerquad, which I beleive are 18" also.

To answer your question on the hood, the plastic one would have to go, you can either DIY one up yourself, or you can probably buy one at your LFS. I think that AHSupply has them also (place that I linked to) and they have a pretty good reputation.

BoomerD

FWIW, on my 90 gallon, (48x18x25) I run 4 110wVHO's 3 50/50, 1 actinic) 12 hrs per day, and 2 110 w. actinics about 4 hrs per day as a dusk/dawn thing. My BTA, condy, and LTA love the intense light.
OOPS, almost forgot...My 40 gallon, (36x15x16) has 4 95w VHO's on it. 2 50/50, 2 actinic. Rose BTA & Green BTA both do very well in this light as well.

Last edited:

Craig Manoukian

Not enough light, PARs, for a BTA. Only 26 watts and 2 watts per gallon is insufficient.

For example, I've got 110 watts of 10,000k PC light over my 20 gallon or just over 5 watts per gallon and as it is a shallow tank, 2" high, there are plenty of PAR to support my BTA and soft corals.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Midway

I wonder....

I wonder....

I want to put a BTA and a true percula clown in a 12 Gal Hexagonal Tank,(I know it's a small tank) The actual light is a 15W 10k light "saver" kind... The hood says it can fit a 60W normal bulb max...

Is the same 15W "saver-bulb" (the kind of light that the slim tubes do) than the 60W "normal-bulb" in terms of ilumination???

I mean the 15W saver-bulb said that is "equals to 75W light bulb", is that righ???

Because 15W Vs. 12 Gal. is poor (1.25 w/gal),
but 75W Vs. 12 Gal is more than adequate (6.25 w/Gal.)

Just a simple question.....

(I should post a picture of my tank to give you a clear idea of what I'm talking about.. righ?)

Last edited:

Craig Manoukian

Not sure Midway, not all bulbs greated equal. May be enough watts, but not enough PARs. You'd need to check to be sure. PC lighting has good intensity/PAR value.

HTH:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Midway

I'm not english native so I'm kinda lost on technicisms what PC and PAR stands for?

and... how can I measure the lumens on my tank??

Craig Manoukian

A donde esta Puebla?

PC = Power Compact flourescent lighting. PAR is a measurement of intensity and I can't remember what the acronym is for.

Sorry for any confusion!:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Midway

Craig:
Puebla is in the center of the Mexican Republic, Just 2 hous away from México City.

Besides... Nice spanish...

Gracias!,...
Midway.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Tenemos dos personas del mexico ahora? I think I got it right:rolleyes:

This is cool, we are getting members from across the globe.

newsalt

Since my first post on this topic, I've purchased a 50g AGA. I also bought a 36" long Coralife Aqualight. It has (1)-96 watt Actinic and (1)-96 watt 10,000K Compact Fluorescent Lamp for a total of 192 watts, that's 3.8 watts/gallon. The tank dimensions are 36"L x 18"W x 19"D. Would this lighting and size tank be ok for BTA?