Microbubbles in your RSM? Check here!

Chaka

Hi all,

I'm new here, based in Australia but you lot seem to be a helpful bunch with this particular issue!

I have read and read information and there is a lot of conflicting advice.

We have a RSM 130D, got it second hand, started a new set up inside. It has cycled, we have 5 fish and 2 corals at present, and it has been running just over 2 months. Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate all at 0, PH at 8.0, Calcium at 450, I haven't tested the others for about 3 weeks, but ALK was on 8 I think.

We have started using NSW (approx 10 litres has gone in so far).

Now, to the problem.

Microbubbles will be the death of me! I am not allowed to put more corals in until its fixed :tears: although I'm sure I'll get around that lol

We have no filter media in the back, except a purigen bag that we put in last night to clear the water.

We have the stock skimmer, stock pumps, and a chiller pump.

The main bubble problem is after feeding, when the skimmer gets disturbed, it takes a long time (hours) to get going again, I'm hoping a Tunze will fix this, but don't want to buy it if it will still do it to that extent, a little bit is ok, but not the amount it has been. I can go to bed 4 hours later and its still blowing bubbles.

When we get home from work/get up in the morning and it has been left for 8+ hours the skimmer is its usual working self, but there are still bubbles and particles. Not many bubbles mind you, but enough to notice, with the very odd sporadic burst.

The water level stays high enough, it doesn't evap much at all really. So I don't think it has to do with water level.

I tried cutting the black sponge and putting it just before the return pumps in the slot there, but I did have to squeeze it a bit, I'm wondering if it was too big? It made the bubbles horrible.

Tried to just have one pump going and it worked a treat with less than when both are going, could just be a general "half". But once the second one goes again, once the initial start up bubbles are gone, the normal few are still coming through.

I will be trying to rubber band the bottom of the pumps on tonight to see if that helps.

I know there are particles floating around, do I NEED a sponge of some form in the back?

I hope someone can help, I have tried reading through this page, but being at work, it is going to take me days

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Best of luck sorting... for me on my RSM 130D - "water level" was everything...

jm47

Having severe microbubble issues after being clumsy when cleaning the collection cup. My tank has been running smoothly for about 6 mos now. I haven't seen a bubble since about the 3 day mark. Anyway I accidentally dislodged the air control knob on the right side of the skimmer and I may have moved the lever on the left, if you have a newer rsm250 you will know what I'm talking about. I just spent the past 3 hours trying to correct the issue. Basically the left side of the middle compartment is nothing but microbubbles at this point, no matter where I set the lever or the knob. I hoped to find luck here: http://redseafish.com/redseamax/downloads/MAX_microbubble_diagnostic.pdf but that link is dead. Water level isn't the issue either, I use an ato and the level is normal. Everything was fine until I was clumsy.

The skimmer was cleaned a few weeks ago, anyone have any ideas here? I'm getting fed up with red sea's support.