MG level 1600? Is this safe?

Mavjoy

First time testing my MG level with Elos test kit and it turn out to be 1600. Is this too high that might hurt my LS? I just recently did a WC last night and my CA is 480 and ALK is 7.

BobBursek

On the back of the box by the bar code there is an imbossed date stamp, what is it? There was a batch of Elos Mg kits that the instructions where wrong, it said multiply X 100, but in reality it was suppose to be X 75, I had one of those and I thing the date was 11-09.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Interesting info on the Elos Bob. Thanks.
I would worry about the Calcium being that high. 420 is where you want to be and I have been reading that anything above 450 might actually inhibit the corals ability to uptake the calcium calcite needed for growth.

cbrownfish

On the back of the box by the bar code there is an imbossed date stamp, what is it? There was a batch of Elos Mg kits that the instructions where wrong, it said multiply X 100, but in reality it was suppose to be X 75, I had one of those and I thing the date was 11-09.

This is true. A fellow reef keeper purchased a kit with the incorrect instructions as well.

Mavjoy

My Elos MG box date is 11-10. The instruction says to multiply by 50. No articles saying MG is not good when it's high. I might have to do a re-test later and see if I did it right the first time. Thanks guys.

cbrownfish

Unless you were dosing Mg significantly or your salt mix is high in Mg, then I suspect that the test is skewed. 1600 is on the high side but not terrible. I would let this fall naturally and avoid dosing Mg if it is accurate.

Mavjoy

Unless you were dosing Mg significantly or your salt mix is high in Mg, then I suspect that the test is skewed. 1600 is on the high side but not terrible. I would let this fall naturally and avoid dosing Mg if it is accurate.

cbrownfish- I'm not dosing anything. I used natural sea water when I set up my tank and when I did my 1st WC a couple days ago. I'm gonna re-test and see if it's the same. Maybe my LFS's NSW is a bit high on MG. Thanks for the input tho.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Mav

You can not get 1600 ppm in any NSW, not even the Red Sea, so the kit is in error or you did the test wrong. Try the kit at the LFS.