Metal Tongs

kathya0321

I use metal tongs to feed my brittle star clams, within the last 2 days my clown fish and watchman goby are laying on their sides and breathing very hard, we have tested our water
sal 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
ph 8.2
phos .044

Just wondering if using those tongs could be putting something in the water that is affecting them. Just plucking at straws at this point don't know what to do.

any ideas?

DaveK

I don't think the tongs alone would cause your problem.

Something is very wrong with your system. Here are the first things to look for -
Diseases - Some of them can do a lot of damage fast
low oxygen - Check the flow through the system
some toxin got in the water - Any household chemicals or cleaners used around the system or anything die in the tank? Does the water smell bad?
the tank not cycled correctly.

In all cases a large partial water change may help.

kathya0321

ok thanks, going to do another water change today. Tank has been up and running for 3 months with no issues. Sick fishes do not show any outward signs of disease, will have to see how my other fish do as time goes on.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the 1st thing that comes to mine anytime I read fish are... "laying on their sides and breathing very hard"

is ammonia poisoning - I would test for this again or take a sample to lfs to verify - keep up wc & add some fresh chemical filtration like a 100 ml bag of Purigen