Mesh or Felt Filters for Max S ?

SPR

I am currently running the Red Sea 225 micron mesh Filters in my Max S 650 but seem to be getting quiet a lot of debris in the sump.

I haven't tried the felt ones but from what I've read they seem to be a lot harder to clean (they aren't going in washing machine!!) than mesh

I was also considering trying the 100 micron which are felt as far as they Red Sea ones although I have seen other 100 micron versions on eBay that look like they will also fit Which are made of mesh rather than felt.

Any experience with the different types/microns on the S Series or additional filtering additions to sump??

DaveR11

The felt ones are difficult/impossible to get completely clean. I went over to the Red Sea 225 micron and they clean up in a few minutes but I too am seeing detritus in the sump. Not tried the 100 micron ones yet....

DaveK

Yes, the felt filter material does filter better, but it's a lot harder to clean. In fact the only way to really clean them it is to run them through the washing machine. So if you get them, be prepared to do that.

SPR

The felt looked like they would be difficult to clean compared with the mesh so I think I'll stay with mesh but thanks for your thoughts.

The washing machine is a no no!!