Matts 500 gallon funhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie McDaries

Matt, just my 2 cents here, but its damn near impossible to break a sheet of 3/4 plywood with a bulk head, no matter how many holes you drill. Plus you could take apart either of the 40s to use as a front window. Recycling. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

normally,I would agree 100% with that,and even encourage it.....true,the bulkhead would snap long before the plywood would show signs of failing,but the $300 worth of epoxy to make it waterproof would deter me :D

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm awaiting tomorrow to price glass. We'll see where it goes

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Funlad3

Wait, are you just rebuilding the office tank, or doing another full flung build? Please be the latter, or a combination of the two. :D

dmatt88

+1 we need more details Matt :lol:

Well since the office tank cracked I wanna redo it. I rushed it last time n it showed.

I want to stay around the footprint of the 40 but a 3'cube would b nice. I'm just not sure if I want to dedicate the time or take the time to do much more that buying another 40. Wish I could share more just don't know which way I want to go. Time n money r certainty precious commodities.

Willie McDaries

Well since the office tank cracked I wanna redo it. I rushed it last time n it showed.

I want to stay around the footprint of the 40 but a 3'cube would b nice. I'm just not sure if I want to dedicate the time or take the time to do much more that buying another 40. Wish I could share more just don't know which way I want to go. Time n money r certainty precious commodities.

I understand completely,it makes more sense to reuse your stand and all the other 40b equipment from a money and time perspective,anything else is gonna require a different stand and possibly different equipment,which means more money and time...like I stated in an earlier post,it's easy for me to come up with really cool ideas when I'm spending your money :lol:

either way you go with it,we'll be here to share in the fun,I hope it goes without a hitch this next time around though,it's a bummer to get so close and it fall apart like the new 40b did,that glass is really thin and it don't take much to shatter it,but IMO a tank is worthless without an overflow system of some kind and a drilled tank is the safest and best approach at doing that

Funlad3

Matt, I'd check out Craigslist for a cheap 75 gallon setup or something. That glass won't shatter unless you throw something at it, and more volume means less maintenance. :D

dmatt88

I had a 180 in there remember. Problem is when the pest guys spray I have to b able to wc it out. Large tanks take a ton of water. A 75 gallon change is 600 lbs n I didn't eat my Wheaties. N damned if I'm installing another flood maker ie rodi unit. If water in a 40 goes south I can change it with a half dozen 5 gallon buckets. Manageable. Anything larger I can't maintain. Office tanks r so tough. I've not seen my office tank since Friday. I'm really contemplating not having one. Really discouraged. This part of the hobby wears on a fella.

Funlad3

Run PVC underground through all of town and hook it to your sump?

I don't know what to reccommend here Matt. I think Sam might be onto something with a AIO tank, but there aren't many around 40 gallons. Wanna become a member of the RSM 250 club? Beyond that, I only have one plan, but it would involve you driving up to Chicago and you having way more faith in me than I deserve.... :)

dmatt88

Run PVC underground through all of town and hook it to your sump?

I don't know what to reccommend here Matt. I think Sam might be onto something with a AIO tank, but there aren't many around 40 gallons. Wanna become a member of the RSM 250 club? Beyond that, I only have one plan, but it would involve you driving up to Chicago and you having way more faith in me than I deserve.... :)
Hahaha.

StirCrayzy

I feel for ya. Plenty of options floating around. But let me encourage another office tank ....
so many of my customers remember our 300g lobby tank , the beauty of a reef is memorable.
Especially to folks who arent exposed to them regularly.
Bottom line, its good for business, and therapeutic.
If i could have another office tank i would in a heartbeat, even if its just a small cube.

lethal

I hate to say this to a custom builder but what about coming over to the dark side and getting a RSM? :ashamed:

dmatt88

I feel for ya. Plenty of options floating around. But let me encourage another office tank ....
so many of my customers remember our 300g lobby tank , the beauty of a reef is memorable.
Especially to folks who arent exposed to them regularly.
Bottom line, its good for business, and therapeutic.
If i could have another office tank i would in a heartbeat, even if its just a small cube.

Too true. I've actually had teacher clients bring their students over to see it. Ya is. Must do. Thanks for the reality check.

Funlad3

So here's my secret plan I've had since before January. I want to build some AIO tanks with only the best pieces of equipment included. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 36"x24"x18". Rimless, StarFire front panel, 1/4" glass all around. 1" drain in the back center with two returns in the bottom of the tank at each bottom corner. Returns would be on a wye check valve, unknown sized sump, SC 60 skimmer, RIO return, no fuge. The stand would be 2"x4" supports skinned with particle board painted black gloss to match the back of the tank. The front panel would be the only one able to be removed, and it would be held in place with industrial magnets. The stand would be 4" or so wider than the tank, and the side panels would continue up vertically past the tank for 12" or so, only to then cover the tank, creating a suspended canopy framed with, again, 2"x4". Inside the canopy would be a Prestige LED 24" Hybrid unit, and the top of the canopy would have CNCed holes to match the fan placement. The canopy's interior would be gloss white, and the rest of the stand would be gloss black. The return pump would be over-sized and would be plumbed into an alternator to eliminate the need for power heads. All of the electronics would be in the back of the stand, all plugged into one custom power strip. The single power cord would come out of the back right or left side of the stand. All of the particle board will be cut via ShopBot, and the tank wiill be sunk 1/4" into the top of the stand. Black Silicone.

The ultimate AIO rimless tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.