Masculine; Feminine; Neutral? HUH?

nigle

Oi!

I have many fish identification books by Rudie H. Kuiter, one of which is BASSLETS, HAMLETS and their relatives.

On Page 6 is GENUS Symphysanodon The first word is Masculine

On page 85 is GENUS Tosana The first word is Feminine.

On page 125 is GENUS Trachypoma The first word in the description is Neutral.

Now the pictures that he has in the descriptions for the general family 'look' are not males and or females and or nonsexual, so I don't believe it has to do with that, but I haven't a clue to what he is talking about.

Can someone here explain? Has it to do with Masculine as being the 'ending' of the word in greek?, and that is it?

Anyhoo, what is with this?

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

nigle

Oi!

20 people read this and STILL no one knows?

I guess I can really ask good questions now can't I?

At least I know what to do with cyno, HA!

I have hope that SOMEONE has an answer to my question.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

nigle

Oi! Vei!

Enought with the salutations already, geesh!, HA!

I would still like some more smarter than me [yes I know only er per sentence] person to answer this, more smarter, HA!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The only thing I can think of is the fact that they're hermaphroditic ? You have me stumped Nigle, but here's a bump for ya !

Witfull

nobody look~~

i dont have the foggiest notion as to what he means. im wondering if the book was translated from a different language,,and something got lost~

XBwlr

Could you post some more examples?

KimPossible

I started with a Nomenclature search....not good enough. Then I tried Grammatical gender....here's what I found.

Gender refers to the masculinity or femininity of words, persons, characteristics, or non-human organisms.

"In linguistics, noun classes, also called grammatical gender is a type of inflection. A language is said to have noun classes when nouns are divided into groups according to characteristics which the concepts they represent are conventionally said to have. This division can manifest itself in two ways: through morphological characteristics of the nouns themselves, and through morphological changes in other parts of speech that refer to nouns (agreement)."
Great explanations here:
Grammatical gender

nigle

Bwlr said:

Could you post some more examples?

Oi!

Well I would love to, but it would be rather pointless since having 20 or so examples would be just as confusing as the three I gave as examples of Mas,Fem, Nuten-hunny.

I went looking for Mr. Kuiter 'on line' but found no where that I could send e-males. If anyone does fine an e-dress where he could be reached I would appreciate it greatly.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

nigle

Oi!

I got this reply on RC:

04/01/2006 04:31 PM

LeslieH
Registered Member

Yes, masculine, feminine, and neutral refer to the gender of the generic names which are primarily greek or latin. In scientific nomenclature in general the endings of the species names have to agree with the gender of the genus names. One exception is when a species is named in honor of someone, then the ending of the name reflects the sex of the person. For example, a species named after me would be harrisae (female ending), if it was named for Harry Harris it would be spelled harrisi (male ending).

Interests: marine worms, other inverts, micro- & macrophotography

KUL!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

mps9506

Hmmm, gonna make me break out the ole intro college bio books....
I took 4 years of Latin, and majored in marine bio and that thought never crossed my mind, nor did a professor ever mention gender and genus nomenclature...

mps9506

A quick glance in my Icthy book shows nothing correlating the gender of the genus name with anything...

KimPossible

Names of genera

- The name of a genus is a substantive, or an adjective used as a substantive, in the singular number and written with an initial capital letter [Rule 10a]. The name is treated as a Latin substantive [Rule 10a].

- The name may be taken from any source and may even be composed in an arbitrary manner [Rule 10a].
Examples: Afipia (derived from AFIP: Armed Force Institute of Pathology), Cedecea (derived from CDC: Centers for Disease Control), Desemzia (derived from DSMZ: Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen), Waddlia (derived from WADDL: Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory)...

- Authors should not name genera after themselves or after co-authors [Recommendation 6 (10)].
Reference: DE VOS (P.) and TRÜPER (H.G.): Judicial Commission of the International Committee on Systematic Bacteriology. IXth International (IUMS) Congress of Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology. Minutes of the meetings, 14, 15 and 18 August 1999, Sydney, Australia. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 2000, 50, 2239-2244. [Original article in IJSEM Online, PDF format]

- Authors should not name genera after persons quite unconnected with bacteriology or at least with natural science [Recommendation 10a (1)].

- When a genus is lowered in rank to subgenus, the original name must be retained unless it is rejected under the Rules [Rule 49]. This also applies when a subgenus is elevated to a genus [Rule 49].
Example: The genus Branhamella has been lowered in rank to subgenus and the name of this subgenus is Branhamella.

- Gender of a name of a genus, see: ¤ Gender of names or epithets and the file Genders of generic names.

I guess the old adage "what's in a name" has a totally new meaning !:stars:
Quick.....someone email Boomer!

nigle

Oi!

Well KimPossible,you are probably correct, and I have bookmarked the page that you URL'ed just so that I will have the answer when I needed it.

It always seems so 'silly' in retrospect when someone 'giggles' a word or phrase [yes I know I misstyped!] and something like this pops up, and why I never though about doing it, HA!

Kudos to you KimPossible.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!