Mantis Shrimps!!!!

So what do you all think about keeping these in there own smaller display setups??????
Shawn

P.S. Lets not get to carried away and lets keep the exaggerated horror stories to a minimum!:LOL:

lcstorc

I see no problem with it as long as they were small enough or in a tank that they couldn't break. (I've heard horror stories.)

rDr4g0n

ive seen vids of the things and they are awesome (peacock mantis that is). any creature that is that intelligent is coo with me

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It's a great idea, if you like that sort of thing. I extracted one from my live rock and gave it to a lfs employee who set up a tank just for the mantis. He has told me it's doing well and is becoming very personable. Go for it!

rDr4g0n

they are reputed to have great personality, curiousity and intellect. just be sure there is nothing else in there you wouldnt mind being eaten.

also they can cut and break anything... supposedly even glass... somethign to think about.

Warnberg

If you do keep one, I would suggest an acrylic tank and not glass.. as stated above they can break just about anything and I have seen what they can do to a glass tank when they get larger.

Snelly40

i am all for it, i was tinking about one fior a while too, but def acrylic tank so it will not shatter if they strike it, and dont put anything of value fish wise in their. but they are wicked cool

TDEVIL

Shawn, these are very interesting critters indeed and very smart. i have had 2 over the years a male and a female O. Scyllarus (peacock).

your tank size will depend on the type of mantis you get if you want an O.S. (peacock) they can reach 8" and pack a powerfull punch and a 10g or larger acrylic tank is recomended (mine were in 30g glass tanks). the peococks possible deliver the strongest strike of all stomatopods. if a glass tank is used then get one that is larger than 10g because the glass will be a little thicker. if you get a N. Wennerae mantis then you dont have to have as large of a tank. Wennerae's only get around 3.5" and are becoming more popular. i would also recomend using some PVC to make a den, and dont use glass heaters as the mantis might strike the light when it comes on and crack the heater and kill its self ;)

here is another good read ;)
http://www.fragexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1878
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/04/21_shrimp.shtml

my male, Squishy

clam014.jpg

Jay

lcstorc

That's a pretty neat looking critter.
The pic is so clear it looks like it is out of water. :)