Mangrove refugium ideas

FishinBob

Well I know everyone is familiar with using red mangrove props in refugiums... But has anyone ever experimented with the white and black mangroves? Since I'm in south florida this season I collected about 20 red mangrove props about 15 black mangrove seeds and 10 white mangrove seeds probably won't use them all but could add some interesting views to the fuge.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323842515.346974.jpg
The ones in the back are red
Obviously. The smaller ones to the left are the white ,and leafy light green ones on the right are the black.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323842544.506616.jpg
Interesting thing about the black mangroves they grow roots up out of the mud/sand similar to cypress knees!! In FW for now but going
To slowly acclimate them to SW of the next couple weeks!

tnwillia

Only thing I've read about the mangroves is they out grow the fuge so you have to think about that if you go that way. Have fun with them & good luck!

FishinBob

I have well over 15" above my fugue maybe 10" including light! I will be topping regularly to promote a "bushier" tree with more root growth. Similar to what the summer storms and hurricanes do down here in Florida to the mangroves lol natural topping!! I know reds a usually used anyone try the blacks or whites?

FishinBob

Thank tnwilla great read havnt seen that one before!! Couple points I can use on my next kayak tour lol!!!

I obviously can't grow them with my setup, but maybe a different tank in the future. Do Mangroves really help with excess nutrients like micro-algae or are they just really for looks?

FishinBob

Well mangroves are another means of nutrient export... They are quite slow until they develop a larger root system and downside is they are slow growing!!! They can be very helpful with the addition of macro I know down here in the Everglades thousands of acres of mangrove forests keep the water crystal clear up(besides the tannins) they are just slow until the root system develops

Ssullivan

white mangroves like to be a lot dryer than reds or blacks
but it will defiantly be cool. they need a lot of room though im planing on building a out door sump when i move so i can grow red mangroves