Mandrin not looking so good

BLAKEJOHN

Well I got a spotted mandarin a few weeks ago. My tank has been up for just over a year and I can see copepods and amphipods in the caves of the LR. I am also currently growing a culture of copepods in a separate container. The issue is that my mandarins belly is realy caved in and not plump. So I believe hes is not eating or not getting enough food. I have a six line and a bandit sleeper goby in the same tank. But yet like I said above I can see the copepods in the tank. So I feel its not that I have a shortage of food. Anyone have any advise?

Cassette87

Has it been getting progressively worse since you brought the lil guy home or was he at any point eating properly? I presume he was acclimated correctly?

BLAKEJOHN

To tell you the truth I didnt really notice to much at the store. After a 2hr acclimation and after he was in the tank for about a week is when I really noticed. And today when he was out and about I looked at him some more. I cant say if it was worse or the same from the first time.

Im thinking of removing him and trying to feed him is a separate tank. But I am looking for altenatives.

BarbMazz

Sometimes they are past the point of no return in the starvation department and it doesn't make a difference how many pods there are. :( It's good of you to try to help him.

Have you looked at Melev's Reef? He has a whole mandarin section that may give you ideas on how to help yours.

Sapphire

Is he moving around the tank and picking at rocks at all or is he just sitting on the bottom?

Has his behaviour changed at all since being in the tank? I have heard of ones that just don't seem to get used to being in an aquarium even if there is a suitable food supply.

Hopefully he will settle and start eating - they're such beautiful fish and are delightful to watch, I really hope he improves

I also can't think of anything food wise to try if he won't even eat pods....

Cassette87

I personally wouldn't move him... it'll just stress him more and might push it past the point of no return; have you tried target feeding with a baster?

Reddog170

Mine did not eat at first but when I put some Mysis shrimp in he started eating real well. His belly looked really pinched when i got him home but now he is nice and round. Best of luck, Shaun