Mandarin and their eating habits?

Hi there, i have long admired mandarinfish but i read a lot of articles that states that they don't really take pellets and solely eat pods. As i heard that some reefers have successfully got them t eat pellets and they do live for a long time when they feed on both pods and pellets or frozen food.

My question is, is there a way to get mandarinfish to eat pellets and frozen food? If there is, how should i do it? TIA..

ds69

I have not personally done it but I have heard of a way. You start out by feeding live brine shrimp. Then when the mandarin gets used to the live brine you slowly start mixing in frozen mysis. The idea being that at some point he is going to grab a piece of frozen mysis and then get used to eating that. Unless its a big tank I wouldn't bother with one really. They can decimate the pod population pretty quick even if you are feeding it. Once all the pods are gone then your headed for a crash. Hope this helps a little

Kevin

thanks kevin, it does help.. its frightening to know that it eats up pods real fast causing the tank to crash.. nightmare..

I have heard of a technique, and have tried this on mine, where you take an olive jar, place in pellets and put it where the mandarin can get in, but the fish can't.

I squirted in some brine shrimp before placing it in the tank, and mine actually did take a nibble at the pellet, but didn't eat it. I decided to just get him used to brine shrimp and use a syringe and squirt some directly near him. He will eat that.

jski711

first off brine shrimp have very little nutritional value. you need to keep the the fish in a breeder net for training or else its worthless. first you start by feeding live brine, then mix in frozen brine with the live stuff. there needs to be some current going through the net so the dead brine "appears" alive. once on frozen brine start mixing in mysis. that was what worked for me twice now. i have a pair of S. splendidus that are eating rods food like its their job. also if they are in a tank with vicious eaters its unlikely they will even get any food bc they are such slow eaters. hth.

Jake

craftmage

Can I put my scooter blenny in a breeder net and train him on frozen/flake/pellets? I thought about that earlier today, and wasn't sure and was researching if that was a possibility.

If I can put him in a net, do I have to add rock or something? How long should I leave him in?

jski711

Yes put him in a net and see if he will take frozen foods if not then start with enriched live brine. Check out my thread on how to train you mandarins onto frozen foods thread in the reef fish forums. Id post a link ro it but im on my cell now. I have a pair in a 15g tank and are doing just fine. Imo this is the best way to keep your dragonettes alive. Search a guy named matt wittenrich and you'll see what im talking about. He's raising the fry which he bred on strictly pellets I do believe. Hth.

Jake