MAJOR, MAJOR bubble algea!

greene394

We had our HQI 28 gallon set up for over a year now. Well past cycle. Everything is out of whack!:cursin: We have so much bubble algea that its killing our corals. We have picked the stuff off by hand. We have added a differnt pump and a UV seralizer and it has gotten worse! We are very close to draining the tank, loosing our corals, and boiling our rock. What do we do?????? Its soooooooo bad! Where to start? We did the bi weekly water changes and nothing has helped! :cursin::cursin: HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Leslie

GrendelPrime

emerald crabs will eat it, what are ur phosphates and nitrates, imo they must be alittle on the high side to have this much bubble algae, and becareful about removing them by hand cause if u pop a bubble ur releasing a ton of spores back into tank making the issue worse

redneckgearhead

emerald crabs will eat it, what are ur phosphates and nitrates, imo they must be alittle on the high side to have this much bubble algae, and becareful about removing them by hand cause if u pop a bubble ur releasing a ton of spores back into tank making the issue worse
+1^ But your phosphates and nitrates might read zero because the algea is "eating" it all up. And if possible up your water changes to at least once a week.

greene394

When we have removed the bubble algea we did it outside the tank, then rinsed them in a seprate container of salt water. There is corals dying. Its killing me. Is there anyway we could add some to our major display tank without it spreading to that tank if there is no bubble algea on the coral we move?

redneckgearhead

You would run a huge risk of spreading it to your other tank. If one spore was stuck to the coral you moved it would spread. If you can set up a QT tank and put the corals in there for a while (a month) to see if the algea pops back up. Then after not seeing any would I advise putting your coral into your other tank. Again emerald crabs are really good at taking care of bubble algea.

GrendelPrime

i just read over on reefcleaners that juvi emerald crabs will do a better job, i think at this point it might be a good way to go, i also have bubble algae and thats the route im gonna go

greene394

I guess changing water and juvi emerald crabs is the way we will go. Been changing water, now I guess we need to add crabs.