Magnesium supplement oddity

Snelly40

Hi guys.... I've always dosed and added magnesium mainly due to using kalk, levels are all good but recently , the last two times, when I add the magnesium I am getting some precipitate or maybe calcification bits in the water column.... Normal? Odd? Thoughts?

DaveK

The trouble is that you don't really know what the precipitate is. Also statements such as "...levels are all good..." do no convey any information to us. Please post actual readings, since what might seem good to you may indicate a problem to someone else.

Without knowing more, I would consider the precipitate to be unusual, but not a serious issue. It does tend to make a mess out of the tank. This brings up a couple of points I often make about dosing. First, if the livestock is doing well, and your parameters are close to normal, leave things alone. Don't chase a number. Second, only dose what you need to and what you can test for. Do you have a magnesium test kit? Typically you don't often need to dose it, unless your salt is lacking. Yes, it does deplete, but slowly. Only a small amount of kalk dissolves in water, so unless you are dosing a lot of kalk, magnesium shouldn't take too much of a hit. If your doing normal water changes, you may not even need to dose magnesium, even with the kalk.

There is a somewhat delicate balance between pH, alkalinity, and calcium. The magnesium helps you maintain these levels when it's high enough.

Snelly40

I do have a test kit and I'll re test and post, maybe I'll stop dosing bc I do weekly water changes. I just switched to brightewell neo salt