Lowering specific gravity

OcellarisClowns

Ive had my tank at 1.023 specific gravity since I set it up. On a recent water change I messed up and its now at 1.025, should I be concerned? Is the easiest way to lower it by dipping out tank water and adding fresh? Thanks again

Your SG can range between 1.023 and 1.026/7...I would not worry to much about it...I would just not let it get above 1.027...and make sure you are using a refractometer.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Your SG can range between 1.023 and 1.026/7...I would not worry to much about it...I would just not let it get above 1.027...and make sure you are using a refractometer.

This is not necessarily true.
The specific gravity in the ocean where most of our live stock comes from (fish, corals and encrustations ) is pretty consistent at a SG of 35 or salinity of 1.026. You want to try and keep your waters SG as close to this as possible without variations up or down.

I keep mine at 1.024ish and everything is doing wonderful...corals, fish and everything else. I think what they were worried about was the 0.002 change going to hurt or screw anything up. Everyone likes theirs at different levels, I know one person who keeps it at 1.027 religiously...and others at 1.023. I was just trying to put their mind at ease and let them know that as long as the SG stays in the 1.023-1.027 level, everything should be fine. Just don't make a habbit of bouncing from the lower number to the higher number...try to stay at the same number everytime.

Angel Fin

You know, I find salinity a little better measurement to follow than SG...I find the scale just a bit more specific or at least easier to read on my manometer.....& yes, my tank generally does better around 35 than it has at other readings!!
Suggest you keep it up where it is...just sayin'!