low light coraline aglae

funkpolice

Do different coraline algae have different light preferences? It seems since I've upgraded my light all my corraline it slowly going away. All the rocks are almost white at this point. None of my water parameters have changed, and all of my corals look just fine.
bill

chipmunkofdoom2

It's most likely just the change in lighting intensity/temperature. Any change in the tank can cause a coralline recession.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
cmod2 is correct but also anytime there is a light change the coralline can do this. I've had some BEAUTIFUL orange coralline turn white and in a few months it's pink/purple. The orange was always on the darker side of the rock and when I reaqua-scaped it was towards the light. It faded/bleached and then either BECAME purple or was replaced by purple.

funkpolice

it's good to know this isn't a sign of something bad. Pretty much the only corraline left is on the underside of the rocks. The rocks in the fuge still look the same, so it must be the lighting. Hopefully is comes back.
bill

kospaintball

i have this generic plastic magnet glass cleaner i use for my 55 and one day i was cleanin and my can jumped up on me and i pulled away and the inside piece sank to the bottom, well i havn't had the want / need to get it out for like 2 months and now i have coralline green, and purple/pink growing on it. Its a fowlr and i don't do any additives to the tank. it has a total of 36 watts of light and yet the coralline grows all the way down in the bottom