Lots of algae

reefersfun

So my 29 gal is near or at the end of its cycle. Its been a little over 3 weeks. Last test was 3 days ago PH 8, salinity 1025,
Nitrite .25 Ammonia 0 and I can't remember Nitrate. Anyhow about a week ago I bought some new Coralife compact flourescent lights 2X 65 watts. The tank is producing mega algae.
Mostly green with some reddish brown. Its not hairy but more film like. I can literally clean the glass and in an hour and a half, have to do it again. So if my water checks out tonight am I ready for fish or should I wait this algae thing out first.

ReefLady

Staff member
It's not the algae that is the issue for fish, but the nitrite levels. You do not want any ammonia or nitrite, and want to wait until the nitrates start to decrease considerably (below 50) before adding any fish.
There would have to be "nutrients" present in the tank (nitrates, phosphates, etc.) for algae to feed on. However, algae blooms are a normal part of the life cycle of a new tank. Are you using RODI or distilled water, or tap water?

blue_eyes53813

How long are you leaving the lights on . How luch flow do you have in the tank? I wouldnt add any livestock at this time... The cycle could take 6-8 weeks to finish...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :hallo: and welcome to RS!

As stated above no you're tank isn't ready for fish yet. You're still "Mid-Cycle" and honestly I'm wondering if you're not closer to the FRONT than the back. Here are some questions for you:

• 1) What are you using for water? (Tap, RO/DI, Store bought etc)
  • 2) What did you use to "Feed" the cycle?
  • 3) How much flow do you have in the tank?
  • 4) How much Live Rock and Live Sand are you using?
  • 5) What OTHER types of filtration are you running (Sponges, pads, Bio-Balls etc)
  • 6) How often do you test and what have your test results been before this last one?
  • 7) Have you seen any water parameter "Spikes"? (Ammonia and Nitrites going through the roof on the tests)

The more we know about your tank and how it's running the better equipped we are to make educated suggestions.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :D